New member and boat noob just bought a 14' Starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenjack

Reaction score
Well I'm in it now. For years I've wanted a boat, and for my sins, I got one today. Here comes the big disclaimer:
I've never owned a boat ('cept for a 17' Gumman canoe), I've never launched a motor boat, but I know how to handle a trailer. I don't know anything about marine engines, but I have rebuilt a few VW air coolers in my day. I don't know anything about restoring an aluminum boat, but I have done bodywork and paint on a 69' Triumph spitfire. All that being said, here are the specs/pics of my boat. I bought it for $1000. Don't know if it was a good deal or not. I just had to have it.
14' Starcraft. Don't know what model. Anyone?
1976 25HP Evinrude Model 25602E / Seller says it runs...did not test before I bought it.
One hell of a rusty trailer.
Like to know where to start, and what resources are out there online for parts/info for both the brand of boat and motor.
I'd like to clean it up and restore it as a working boat. Not too picky about originality, but I'd like to know how to handle the aluminum and wood on this thing. I'd also like to know what the first steps are to take with checking the engine. Just like to have a nice clean reliable boat to take the family out on.
Thank you for any advice or scolding.

Apparently it was a search and rescue boat in a nearby county. Nottoway Co. VA

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

First off :WELCOME:

As far as the boat goes it looks to be in pretty good shape. The engine also looks good. I would first try starting the motor. Get you some new gas and oil mixed most likely 50:1 and give it a few pulls it may just start right up! (besure to have water either running to the motor or have it in a drum filled with water before trying to start it) If it does not start begin with checking compression, spark, etc and if that is all good give it the good old carb cleaning or rebuild.

After the motor is running take it out for a few test runs before doing any mods. This will give you an idea of what you want/need to make the boat most confortable for you.

Just my two cents

P.S. Ensure the transom is in good shape before the test runs.

You better get that boat off the trailer and turn the trailer upside down. Poke and scrape to see how far that rust has ruined your trailer.
Do that first.

I had a 57 Star craft Marlin, made in Lima OH.
I used it in Puget sound and Alaska all it's life. I had to re-rivet that bottom "Keel" several times because of the Salt corrosion eating the Rivets etc.
I like the floor in your boat. My floatation was under some wood flooring. One time I took some Big Green water over the bow. My Floor boards all rose up, pulled the corroded rivets right outta the boat, and the Floatation under them just floated away. Left me sitting in a boat full of water.

I think you have a great deal there. It's gonna outlast you! :roll:

If there are motor chores you dislike and are willing to pay, a reputable service place will be needed.
It is your motor. The impeller on water pump needs to be changed on intervals,well worth the peace of mind so not to over heat the motor.Decide proper interval and competent service place if not doing it your self.Do not be fooled by adds,do proper research/homework.
The more service done by an owner,spark plugs,gapped correctly ,lubrication and adjustments,ect. the better the relationship with the craft usually.
I really like the looks of what you have there,if transom is solid you are off to a great start as mentioned..25 h.p. going to really beat rowing!.
Maybe keep her dry till wood re coated in ideal weather conditions for drying.
Trailer if being used in salt water is going to get chewed fast,got to wash well each use.
Nice tin boat,congrats!

I think you made an excellent purchase.

Dunno about flipping and looking over trailer, but I'd for sure follow the other posters' advice.

If it was a search and rescue boat, you can bet that for a large part of its life, it had top-level mechanical attention. Even if the motor runs and pumps water great, I'd still replace the impeller. Just sound insurance precaution.

The rest? Pretty much up to you. It is always my advice to use a boat for a while before you start any modifications. Not hard to tidy it up.There's some information in my rebuild thread at the bottom of this post that may help, but really, you are starting waaaay ahead of where I was.

Nice work.

I would suggest that if you want to learn and work on your own motor you purchase a service manual for YOUR particular motor off ebay or another site..(see attached pic).
As far as the model of your Starcraft, if you know the year then go here and you may find the model using width and length or other specs for the boat-----> https://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/starcraft-brochures-349830.html

Nice purchase..good luck...have fun.

Attachments

• evinrude25.JPG
    evinrude25.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,347
Thanks for all the advice.
Yep, Just ordered a service manual from marineengine.com. I should be ok working on the engine myself. This weekend, I'm planning on taking up the floor, inspecting and cleaning the boat up, getting some fresh gas and turning the engine over in a barrel. I'm assuming the oil mix is 50-1. I think I will get her off the trailer. The trailer is actually my main concern. I did some serious poking around along the structure, and it still seems solid, mostly surface rust I think. I'll be doing more inspecting and working on that than the boat I think.

I think that black strip on the side is actually hiding the search/rescue label. I'd love to expose it but I don't want to get arrested for impersonating an official.

From what research I did online my best guess is, it's [strike]1966 Sea Dart[/strike]. My wife looked at the plate and mentioned 1966. I don't know what she was looking at, because there's nothing on the plate that indicates where a date would be stamped. Anyway the year seemed to align well with that model. I'm pretty psyched. I've always wanted a motor boat but was just too intimidated by the maintenance hassles. I think this is the perfect size and level of commitment. Plus my 7 year old son is excited as well. Who can argue with that.

Don't want to start a "MAC vs PC" type argument, but what's the best finish to put on the wood?

I'll try to document as I go along.

EDIT:
Actually I think I have a Marlin. Still can't confirm the year

Nice boat you have there =D> =D>

As far as coating wood for your craft, spar urethane or any oil based paint will work. Not going to debate which is best, I've done both and have had no issues. Just make sure you use good exterior grade ply, marine grade is not necessary and treated is a big [-X

Congrats big time. That boat looks very sweet. Nice lines. I would think that if was a rescue boat, it would have been well maintained . can't go wrong there. Enjoy it and keep us up to date. For info just surf around here, you'll find it here.

Thanks all,
I've been bouncing back and forth between this forum and iboats forum. My first challenge will be the hull. I took all the wood out and power washed the inside. Looks like the hull had been repaired before with what looks like JB weld and washers. The washers were all rusty, and I immediately pried them out. Only thing I could assume is that they were zinc and acted as a sacrificial anode. Anyway noticed pinholes here and there. Looking for the best way to approach sealing the bottom of the hull, and preventing more corrosion. Here are some pics to give an idea of the surface. Hull bottom feels pretty solid but like I said, there are a fair number of pinholes.

Confirmed that I have a 1965 14' Starcraft Marlin.

hull_001.jpg

hull_002.jpg

hull_003.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329691#p329691 said:
fool4fish1226 » 18 Sep 2013, 08:12[/url]"]First off :WELCOME:

The engine also looks good. I would first try starting the motor. Get you some new gas and oil mixed most likely 50:1 and give it a few pulls it may just start right up!

Can't believe it! It started! Ran for about 20 sec. I throttled down and it stopped. Previous owner said it ran when he last started it over a year ago. I also got scared when I asked him if it was a 2-stroke or 4 and he said it was a 4. Should the throttle handle be hard to turn? I think I got quite a lot of lubing to to. Don't worry the garage door was open during the run, and yes there was water in the bucket.

evinrude25.jpg

There are some ID Numbers on the side of the Carriage. The part the motor is mounted on.
Take a good photo of the numbers.
Let us ID that motor for you. I may be wrong, but I think it's a 2 stroke.

You need a fishing buddy to help you enjoy that Catch. Too bad we are so far apart. 8)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330657#p330657 said:
thudpucker » 28 Sep 2013, 01:10[/url]"]There are some ID Numbers on the side of the Carriage. The part the motor is mounted on.
Take a good photo of the numbers.
Let us ID that motor for you. I may be wrong, but I think it's a 2 stroke.

You need a fishing buddy to help you enjoy that Catch. Too bad we are so far apart. 8)

I got the manual for it. It a 1976 - 25602. Mixed up some fresh gas for it. There was a little old gas that had 2 cycle mixed in it.

Your throttle handle should not be hard to turn.
You can disconnect the linkage to the stator plate to see where the binding is taking place.
If it is indeed the handle pull it off (the turning grip) clean the crud out of there, lube it up and reinstall.
It'll be good as new.