New member whos been lurking too long

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittymhs

Reaction score
Like a lot of others here, I stumbled on this site and found myself bouncing back here more and more since buying my 1st "tin boat". It's an old 12' V hull SeaKing and I do mean old! '70's I think. This is what I started with.

Attachments

• 0922071543.jpg
    0922071543.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,998
I took it out once just the way it sat. Found out pretty fast the back seat was too far back to comfortably maneuver the boat and the front seat was too far forward to fish from. The most important thing to me while moding this boat was to keep it light as I launch it in places that have no real ramp so it has to be dragged in and out of the water. I removed the front seat and cut a milk crate up to fit under the newly located seat to place the front battery in. The carpet is just cut to fit and not glued down so its easy to remove and clean.PICT0029.JPG

In keeping with my "make it light" theme I used a 2" thick polystyrene insulation sheet cut to fit.

Attachments

• PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,979
Then carpeted it and slid it in place. A piece of 2x4 on top of the milk crate holes the back up. Makes very stable platform and added less then 5 lbs to the weight of the boat. I've sat up there with no one else on board and even stood up with no trouble. I wouldn't want to stand there with someone else on board if they were to make any "sudden" moves you might end up wet. But my buddy's been there while I piloted the boat and he said he felt quite comfortable. Boat doesn't feel top heavy at all.

Attachments

• PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,984
I cut up an old set of jumper cables to run to the front battery and added this small panel for the circuit breaker and to separate the front from the back battery.

Attachments

• PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,984
I then moved the back seat forward and added a Bigfoot TM switch. Makes it much more comfortable to fish from and steer the boat as I'm not sitting right on top of the motor. Added some rod holders made out of PVC tubing and 2 Quick draws from Cabela's. Also a couple of cup holders for the occasional adult beverage :lol: I used the oar locks to hold my depth finder.
Boat will run pretty much all day on 1 battery.
Unfortunately the boats now too heavy for all the places I need to drag it to. So now I need to find another one to keep stripped.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,989
I built something very much like that! But mine sit totally under the boat. I think I like the wheels behind the boat though. I might look into revamping my set.

PS: Is it normal to have to resign in everytime you post a reply? Even though you already are signed in?
Just askin.... :?

smittymhs said:
I built something very much like that! But mine sit totally under the boat. I think I like the wheels behind the boat though. I might look into revamping my set.

PS: Is it normal to have to resign in everytime you post a reply? Even though you already are signed in?
Just askin.... :?

No not at all! Are you using AOL or something?

smittymhs said:
How'd ya guess #-o
I don't have this problem with any other forum I'm on. Something I'm gonna have to live with here?

Because it was happening to another member. What you can do is log into AOL, then minimize it altogether, then open up an Internet Explorer browser (or firefox, or any for that matter) and use that. It must be some security feature in AOL.....

Latest posts