To buy a new Alumacraft Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I looked at Alumacraft 1236 and 1036 Jons and I like them. Dealer says both will plane easily with my 5HP Nissan. He will also allow me to run both in the river to test it so I will do so with a full load to test. Is there any other Jon I should look at before I buy Alumacraft? I looked online at the heavier/thicker Jons but pretty sure my motor will not push those. Not a fan of Tracker.

Alumacraft is good. I hear ya on Tracker. Of the two I would go with the 1236.

Buy the biggest widest tin you can afford. The space disappears quick when you start loading stuff in the boat. 1236 would be a good size for cheap.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330669#p330669 said:
Flatbotm » 28 Sep 2013, 10:27[/url]"]Buy the biggest widest tin you can afford. The space disappears quick when you start loading stuff in the boat. 1236 would be a good size for cheap.

I should have stated purpose. This is a second boat that it's mission is a 2-3 hour fishing getaway on a ICW creek alone. Maybe once a year take another person....... Small is good. I don't even put the trailer in the water.......just shove it off plus I want to use existing 5HP that I have along with a trailer made for a 12" that is basically new. Moving from a 30" TINY boat to a 36".

Either one will work well for your purpose. My Alumacraft was a well made tin for the $. I have a 1032 Lowe I let my girlfriends kids use. I bought it used for $90. I feel like I'm in a canoe in it. 36 should be much more stable. It's nice the dealer will let you try it with your motor. That will make the decision easier.

Of all the boats mentioned I would get an Alumacraft 14X48MV. Best jon boat I have ever been on or owned. You can use anywhere from a 9.9hp to a 25hp on it. Please check it out, you won't be disappointed. Good luck.