Weight limit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprduk

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 1968 12' sea king. It is in almost perfect shape. It has a 5 horse merc that is almost new and runs perfectly. We have floated it a few times now and everything went well. I was reading the plate that has weight limit and info and figured out that with my wife, myself, motor and gear we are about 50 # over the limit. I've looked and a lot of the mods here and haven't seen anything dealing with this fix. I have looked at outrigger mods and also thought about maybe doing some kind of a pour Styrofoam additions on the sides. I'm retired and not really interested in going fast, I just would like to be a lot more stable and safe while fishing. I really like a lot of the mods I saw here where you've added decks and tall bass boat type seats, I just can't see how that can be stable though. I didn't feel safe just standing upright from the bottom of my boat. I sure would like to here some ideas about this. No, buying a bigger boat is not an option. Limited funds is a real problem here. I got the boat, oars, motor, lifejackets, and rack that goes on my pickup to load and unload it for $400. I think it was a fair deal, what do you think. Anyway I'm sure glad I found this site and I'm anxious to get started on my project. Sure would like some ideas.

I think you got a great deal on the boat and I agree that being overweight in the boat is a bit worrisome. I imagine that you have bench seats and under them are flotation, adding some additional flotation by building boxes in the boat out of aluminum (along the sides, behind rear bench, etc) is an option. I suppose you could also add some pvc drain / sewer pipe (maybe 10 inch to each out-side to add stability and flotation and still keeping your boat space. Seen it done on boats and canoes. What is the weight max on your boat?
Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. The limit is 450 lbs. I like your idea also. I never thought of that. I knew that seeing all the mods on this site, there would be some good ideas. Thanks

Ditto, displacement = capacity. Foam just helps when you swamp it (from being overloaded when something bad happens).

Most of my advice will be moot if you feel the hull is unstable so I figure cut to the chase. $400 is a pretty small investment in finding out what size hull you don't need ('68 thin hulled 12' Sea King). I'd clean it up and sell it come spring time.

14' x 48" bottom is a lot more hull. Stability is a function of displacement and hull size / design. A 1448 is a lot more stable vs. a 12' Jon but not nearly as stable as a heavy loaded 1758. If you really want stability, a 24' pontoon is amazingly stable.

What's your combined running weight now?

Again, it usually takes 3 boats before you realize what size / type you should have bought the first time.

If the boat is stable enough to suit you, I don't think 50 pounds on calm waters is going to sink you. My son and I, along with battery a TM (700 lbs) fished out of a 73 12 foot Sea King for most of last summer. Stability for standing was a problem but I otherwise felt safe on small lakes and creeks.

I appreciate all the input and agree with most. I have fished a couple of times with it like it is and felt ok. I just would feel better with a little more floatability and have came up a plan to add a couple of small tanks on the sides to help with this issue. I should be finished with prototype this and try fishing again next weekend. I'll take pictures and let you-all know how it goes.

Latest posts