Floatation foam ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNtroller

Reaction score
Have a 04 Tracker PT175 w/ a 60, one of the package deals. Boat has a 12v TM system and I upgraded to a 55# MK Terrova with IP last year. I'm considering adding a 2nd TM battery to extend my trolling time/capability. The gas tank and battery compartment does not have room for a 2nd grp 27 battery with a 20gal tank, cranking and one grp 27 battery. I've been thinking about cutting out a hole in the metal wall that creates the battery/gas compartment and removing some of the floatation foam on the other side of this metal wall to install the 3rd battery, either move the cranking battery into the floatation foam area or the 2nd TM battery.

My question is will the floatation foam in this area support the weight of either the cranking battery or the grp 27 battery or should I add some type of shelf (thinking a plastic cutting board) in the mix as well. I could or would install a battery tray or box in the mods as well but need to know if the foam itself will support the weight of the battery before I start cutting. This would be a winter project.

The curse of those boats with the funky foam everywhere is when (not if) the battery overcharges and pukes some acidic water it'll get soaked into the foam and rot out the aluminum hull. About the only way I would do that is make the opening big enough to install a battery box for the battery to sit in.

Battery box is not a problem in my mind, but will the foam itself support the weight of the battery without any issues ??

The foam itself doesn't support the load in any way. It simply prevents the boat from sinking should it become swamped. You'll have to either lighten the load and/or widen the area over which the force is distributed.

Latest posts