Drain Plug relocation help??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoboaTIN78

Reaction score
I have a 1960 crestliner that had the drain plug in the bottom of boat and it leaked so I patched it up and now wanting to relocate to the bottom of transom. Do any of you have any ideas on what drain plugs or kits to use?? My father bought one of the nylon black plug kit which I dont really like cause it just didnt feel all that secure and a little flimsy. I am also a little bit skiddish drilling a hole in to the transom and making sure it is a clean cut. I also would really prefer to have it where I can pull the plug in and out from inside the boat. My other question is has anyone had any dealings with the moeller 1' drain fitting kit that you have to buy the special flange kit to press the fittings together? I like the idea of that style but do not like the idea of having to spend 30 bucks on a tool to put it in! Please help I am stuck on this one and cannot make up my mind on what to do!!

I had taken my drain out for repairs and took the boat to a marine dealer and had them install a new one. Cost a few bucks but no headaches.

Since my boat is a jet drive, there's a tunnel in the middle, which means having a plug on one side leaves standing water on the opposite side. Not only that, but space in the engine compartment is at a premium, and it's a real SOB to try to reach in there and remove a drain plug from the inside. So, my only option was to mount external plugs, and put one on either side of the jet tunnel.

Like so:

100_4251.jpg

When I did this, I used a large una-bit, then a round file, to bore out the existing drain hole on the starboard side, then mounted the drain plug assembly, using RTV Ultra Black to seal it. On the port side of the tunnel, I drilled another hole at the gutter beside the jet tunnel, to match the one on the starboard side.

This worked so well, I went ahead and changed the plug that was on my Triton, since it was an internal plug, located right under the knee brace, a major PITA to try to get to and remove. Bored out the existing hole enough to fit the drain plug assembly, then sealed it up. Much better!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331461#p331461 said:
PSG-1 » Today, 07:25[/url]"]Since my boat is a jet drive, there's a tunnel in the middle, which means having a plug on one side leaves standing water on the opposite side. Not only that, but space in the engine compartment is at a premium, and it's a real SOB to try to reach in there and remove a drain plug from the inside. So, my only option was to mount external plugs, and put one on either side of the jet tunnel.

Like so:

When I did this, I used a large una-bit, then a round file, to bore out the existing drain hole on the starboard side, then mounted the drain plug assembly, using RTV Ultra Black to seal it. On the port side of the tunnel, I drilled another hole at the gutter beside the jet tunnel, to match the one on the starboard side.

This worked so well, I went ahead and changed the plug that was on my Triton, since it was an internal plug, located right under the knee brace, a major PITA to try to get to and remove. Bored out the existing hole enough to fit the drain plug assembly, then sealed it up. Much better!

Looks like something I would always be sweating getting knocked off.

Latest posts