Aluminum Canoe Woes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azekologi

Reaction score
Hello fellow tinnies! I've got a question that I'd like to have some of my fellow forum members weigh in on...

I've been looking to score a good deal on an aluminum canoe from Craigslist and keep keep running into a few snags (heheh, pun - sorry). What I WANT is a square-back canoe (having a transom that is), but those seem to go for quite a pretty penny in my area ($500+), however, I've found several good condition double-ended (?) canoes that might fit the bill ($300+) but I don't understand the seating situation...

I've got a family of 3, me, wifey, and an 11 year-old rug rat that I need to have seating for, plus space for fishing gear, small cooler, etc. EVERY LAST ONE of the canoes that I find, whether they're 13' to 17', only seem to have two fixed seats (having cross-members w/ a platform that definitely looks like a seat). Now, per the weight capacity of some, they should be able to accommodate three persons + gear, but I don't know how to effectively add an additional seat, if it's even possible.

If ya'll could give me some advice on what length, width, capacity, etc. would best fit my needs, any info on brands that I should keep an eye out for, and HOW I deal with the seating arrangement, please let me know. I see a lot of Grumman, Monark, and Gamefishers...those seem like good brands (the Sears Gamefisher probably being the least of the three).

I'm ONLY in the market for an aluminum/metal canoe (no plastic, wood, kevlar, etc.), would prefer having a transom (but it's not a deal-breaker), and want something quality-made that probably has, but will continue to stand the tests of time.

Thanks ya'll.

You should be able to pick up an adjustable drop in seat from any (most) outdoors store.

II was in the same boat as you are in and i searched and searched the internet and found nothing that satisfied my curiosity. so i did like you i searched crags list and found a sport pal canoe for 40 bucks it was used as a planter and had 10 holes in the bottom no problem i just brazed them with rod from harbour freight.What i did was cut the canoe in three pieces and am in the process of making bulkheads for the three pieces

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332975#p332975 said:
vette59jdwl » 8 minutes ago[/url]"]II was in the same boat as you are in and i searched and searched the internet and found nothing that satisfied my curiosity. so i did like you i searched crags list and found a sport pal canoe for 40 bucks it was used as a planter and had 10 holes in the bottom no problem i just brazed them with rod from harbour freight.What i did was cut the canoe in three pieces and am in the process of making bulkheads for the three pieces

Oh, well, as long as you didn't go to much trouble.
:LOL2: :LOL2: =D> :LOL2: :LOL2:

Drop in seat in a main-stream canoe mfr should work for OP. Some of the old Grummans were 17 and 18 feet, and ?may? have three seats...if I recall correctly.

Good luck.

What i use for a seat im our canoe is I used a 1/8th inch piece of plywood 14 inches wide and set a bass pro seat for a bass boat on the plywood light and strong and comfortable by the way how do you post pics on here thanks wayner

vette59jdwl » Yesterday, 08:19[/url]"]II was in the same boat as you are in and i searched and searched the internet and found nothing that satisfied my curiosity. so i did like you i searched crags list and found a sport pal canoe for 40 bucks it was used as a planter and had 10 holes in the bottom no problem i just brazed them with rod from harbour freight.What i did was cut the canoe in three pieces and am in the process of making bulkheads for the three pieces

That's A LOT of work, but $40 is a GREAT DEAL too. I, however, don't want to put that much work into the project.

From what I've seen online, I think that I'm going to have to go with a 17-18' model and add a seat. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the local BPS to see what they have in the way of additional seating.

Thanks guys!

We all have different projects and we all have different views on different subjects what my delema was and i do say was , is that i live up in northern Ontario I drive a silverado lowrider as my primary vehicle and i tow a 23 foot award travel trailer. I surely aint going to put a 14 foot canoe on the roof and it sure isnt going to be comfortable in a 6 foot 3 inch box.What i was looking for was someone with the experience in cutting an aluminum canoe in three sections and placing bulkheads in all three sections and being able to attached these sections when needed. Is there any way to post pics in here or not. I asked the admin but havent gotten an answer yet thanks wayner

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333062#p333062 said:
azekologi » 26 Oct 2013, 19:35[/url]"]
vette59jdwl » Yesterday, 08:19[/url]"] I was in the same boat, as you are in and i searched and searched the internet and found nothing that satisfied my curiosity. so i did like you i searched crags list and found a sport pal canoe for 40 bucks it was used as a planter canoe and had 10 holes in the bottom , no problem . I just brazed them with rod from harbour freight.What i did was cut the canoe in three pieces and am in the process of making bulkheads for the three pieces
If you don't EAT you don't ****.If you don't **** you DIE

That's A LOT of work, but $40 is a GREAT DEAL too. I, however, don't want to put that much work into the project.

From what I've seen online, I think that I'm going to have to go with a 17-18' model and add a seat. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the local BPS to see what they have in the way of additional seating.

Thanks guys!

vette-

Don't take it the wrong way man, I totally get the $40 deal. I just don't have the time to put into such a project. I don't mind getting something that's not "ready to put on the water", especially for a deal, but I'm not in the position to do that with this project.

My tinny is an ongoing work...ya, it's fine to put on the water, if you don't mind some minor leaks that I need to address as well as some upgrades I'm squirreling cash away for. I fig the leaks will have to be addressed...eventually...but in the HOT Arizona sun shade means more to me RIGHT NOW, that's why a canopy will come first. Ya, I need to do some new seating...but what I want to do will be nearly $1K for 4 seats, hardware, etc. That project will have to wait, and the leaks will come first.

Anyway, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way...I see the value in a deal, but such a deal isn't in the cards for me right now.

I understand man I am a retired firfighter and i am 69 years young i drive a silverado lowrider and haul a 7-23 foot AWARD travel trailer. I am not putting a canoe on the roof of my truck period. I need to cut a canoe in three pieces so i can put the bow and the stern on the beds in the back and bungy them to the side windows and the center section in the kitchen in the front and bungy it to the table sounds crazy but i am sure it will work,.This canoe is just for me for trout fishing in small lakes as a mater of fact Just this morning i purchased 3/4 x 12 inch pine 4 pieces 36 inches long for bulkheads i also purchsed the screwes to screw through the aluminum and into the pine. I am also going to gorilla glue two 1/4 inch templates to both sides of the pine just not sure how to connect the pieces yet

Latest posts