New member, '71 Rhyan Craft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakback

Reaction score
I bought my first boat earlier this month, a 1971 14' Rhyan Craft with a 9.5 Johnson. I wanted something that would float and run, and was happy to get this for a mere $750.

On the day I bought it:

PVtr.jpg

Since then I've moved the bow stop forward, removed the heavy decking, replaced the broken front seat with a cheapy from Bass Pro Shop, greased every fitting I could find (on motor, and bearing buddies), made an anchor from a couple old brake rotors, and added some free but effective rod holders. Can't forget the bottle opener.
ZErfP.jpg

I've already had it on the water 4 times, runs great, only leaks from the plug (can't seem to get it tight enough), and a very small pin hole in the floor.
OWq0b.jpg
CMwS7.jpg

Now I just gotta figure out how to catch freshwater fish.

Welcome oakback to the forum. Nice place to hang out. You got a steal on your rig there. I noticed and you will have to check into it but it looks like your boat needs to move forward on the trailer as I marked it. You might end up with a big dent in the bottom of it. I had one like that and the only thing you could do with it was to troll. It would submarine otherwise. I was lucky that my brother repaired it for me. Hopefully you will look into that soon.

Attachments

• oakback.jpg
    oakback.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 282
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333395#p333395 said:
BrazosDon » 30 Oct 2013, 22:02[/url]"]Welcome oakback to the forum. Nice place to hang out. You got a steal on your rig there. I noticed and you will have to check into it but it looks like your boat needs to move forward on the trailer as I marked it. You might end up with a big dent in the bottom of it. I had one like that and the only thing you could do with it was to troll. It would submarine otherwise. I was lucky that my brother repaired it for me. Hopefully you will look into that soon.
Yup, already did that! That's what I meant when I said I moved the bowstop (where the winch is) forward. I think the previous owner had it so far back so it was easier to lift, since there's no tongue jack. But it made it fishtail all over the road, unless I put a bunch of weight (toolbox) in the front of the boat while trailering. Trailers much better now, and haven't had any problems loading or unloading.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333459#p333459 said:
BrazosDon » 31 Oct 2013, 17:37[/url]"]I think that should just about do it, oakback. Sorry to stick my nose in there.
No need to apologize for giving good advice, thanks!