Boat value...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiPikeGuy

Reaction score
I know it's not a tin, and I really wouldn't even be considering it, but it's so clean. It was offered as a trade for my 88 Mustang LX 5.0. My Stang has a few issues so I think this would be a trade-up.

I know values fluctuate with location but there's not many boats like this for sale in my area to get an idea of value. The boat is a couple hours from me so if I can avoid wasting time/money to try and make a deal happen, I'd rather know now.

Any specific problems I should look for with the motor? The guy said it runs good everything works as it should. Oh, it's a 15fter

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 343
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 343
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 343
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 343
What shape is the Mustang in? A ratty 4 pot would be a trade up, a 5.0 a trade down. I'd chose a 3 season car vs. a one season boat pretty much any day. Add in the fact that it's a couple hours away and you are doing a trade just kills it for me.

Like I said the Stang has some issues. The best thing it has going for it is a straight body/pretty much rust free. The only rust is on the hatch lid, other than that I'd give the body a 9/10. 1st gear on the Mustang grinds/pops out, stereo and speakers are missing along with a few other small cosmetic pieces here and there. Has a 10ft/10mph paint job, looks good from 10 ft or at 10 mph :LOL2: Has headers/exhaust/intake. Runs and drives good, motor is strong (157k)... but overall it needs some TLC

I've only had the Mustang for a month or so, and haven't really invested any time/money into yet.
Car or boat they'll both be used about the same amount.

And here's one crappy picture I have of the Mustang lol

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 337
Considerations:

FIRST, talk to your loved one about trading HER car for YOUR boat. :)

Second, the car was going to be a project car, reminiscent of your old one, and give you something to do while you are in treatment, yes? Trading takes that away, although you'll find other stuff to do.

Third, what are you using to pull that boat? Can it handle it? How's the trailer? What motor problems does it have, or has it had? Can you fix marine motors? Are there parts suppliers/mechanics around you that you can use as resources? Do you have indoor workspace or storage?

Fourth, why is the guy dealing? I know weather up there is fierce this time of year and will only get worse and the boat has less value to him, but he's not going to be driving down the street in the Mustang anytime soon, either.

Fifth, can you use the boat? That's a hunk of machinery and no big pike is going to be pulling it in circles :), but it is a lot of weight and recurrent expense (gas, etc.) that you don't have now. Can you load and unload the boat by yourself? You have strong and then weak days, so your energy is going to vary.

Sixth, just how are you going to explain it to your Crawdad? #-o

Whichever way it goes,

Have fun, be safe.

Check compression and find out how long it has set. Check lower unit for water. Looks a lot like my first boat it was a 15 foot skeeter I pulled it around with my Pontiac Sunfire! I believe I paid $2200-$2500 in the mid 90s it was an 85-86 model boat and motor.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333441#p333441 said:
Kismet » 31 Oct 2013, 12:12[/url]"]Considerations:

FIRST, talk to your loved one about trading HER car for YOUR boat. :)

Second, the car was going to be a project car, reminiscent of your old one, and give you something to do while you are in treatment, yes? Trading takes that away, although you'll find other stuff to do.

Third, what are you using to pull that boat? Can it handle it? How's the trailer? What motor problems does it have, or has it had? Can you fix marine motors? Are there parts suppliers/mechanics around you that you can use as resources? Do you have indoor workspace or storage?

Fourth, why is the guy dealing? I know weather up there is fierce this time of year and will only get worse and the boat has less value to him, but he's not going to be driving down the street in the Mustang anytime soon, either.

Fifth, can you use the boat? That's a hunk of machinery and no big pike is going to be pulling it in circles :), but it is a lot of weight and recurrent expense (gas, etc.) that you don't have now. Can you load and unload the boat by yourself? You have strong and then weak days, so your energy is going to vary.

Sixth, just how are you going to explain it to your Crawdad? #-o

Whichever way it goes,

Have fun, be safe.

LOL I know I know, I'm just so ADD I have a hard time staying focused.

1. We talked about it, she's just as unsure as I am about it. We both would like a bigger boat, but I realllly don't like fiberglass. If it was a comparable tinny I don't think there would be a question in my mind about whether or not to make the deal.

2. You've got a point there Bill, I don't really want to get rid of my car either.

3. The tow rig is what is really making me lean towards no. Right now we only have a 97 Ranger 4.0/2wd. I'm currently looking for a new truck, but it will more than likely still be 6cyl powered, and probably not enough to pull something of that size. Well pulling it may not be the problem, but the launching/retrieving. I'm waiting for the guy to call me back so we can talk more about the boat, I only have the info from the e-mail that he sent me.

My mechanical ability is above-average? haha but I don't have a ton of experience with marine motors which is another thing that makes me shy away from it. Parts locally are hard to find, same with someone that I would actually trust to work on it, if something did go wrong.

I do have somewhere I could store it indoors for the winter, but that's approaching rapidly and if I was to make a trade I don't want to rush into it, but would like to make it happen before the snow is 2ft deep if possible.

4. I was wondering the same thing myself, but I won't really have an answer until I get him on the phone.

5. It's probably on the less useable side than say a tinny. A lot of launches around here are piss-poor at best so it rules out a lot of spots where I would still be able to launch a tin (even if it meant a little carrying). A spot with a decent launch I think I could handle it by myself on a good day, but like I said they're few and far between.

6. I think I'd still keep the Crawdad, there are too many spots I fish where that boat just wouldn't be an option.

I'd like something for the couple of bigger lakes that we do fish. In reality I'd be happy with a 14ft MV with a 15horse or so. But around here MV's are practically non-existent and tins go for crazy prices (hence why I have the crawdad).

I think I made up my mind while typing this response. I think we're going to keep the Mustang and just keep looking for a tin that will still be able to go most places my crawdad goes. The more I think about it, this boat just wouldn't get enough use to justify it. I'm still going to talk to him and see what he has to say but I think my decision is made.

Thanks buddy.

Latest posts