Lurking Member, 1st question - DIY Leaning Post?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpharrold

Reaction score
I picked up a 16ft Jon to fish the seagrass flats close by, and I've been reading this site almost daily since then. I'm not quite ready to start a build thread yet, I'm still running it pretty much the way I picked it up; I want to make sure that I know exactly what I want before tearing it apart. Anyways, theres a couple pictures below that show the layout and existing modifications.

Since those pictures I've removed the Bimini Top, and the Gigging lights on the bow rail (there's no electrical, PO used a small generator). I fished it like that for a long time, and it worked okay. My biggest gripe was having to sit so low to operate the tiller, it got hard to see through the rail and over passengers. I don't have pics of this, but I made a tiller extension, and added a 14" seat post to the rear swivel seat. That's how I'm running it now - much better.

Here's my real question...has anyone made their own leaning post using the swivel seat mount, and a couple of support posts? I've been looking at steering parts with the intent to build a console from an aluminum toolbox...but honestly, I love the tiller extension - and a removable leaning post in place of the rear swivel would be just as good for me as a stand up center console.

I'm thinking about how to build something like this: https://www.gatortraxboats.com/p-195-removable-lean-post.aspx using my existing seat post and seat attachment as the main support, and connection point for the leaning post. Anyone see any issues with this...I'm thinking wood (vinyl wrapped) - with thick wood dowels into a couple of really sturdy flush-mount rod holders on each side into the rear deck.

My other plans right now:
--Remove center bench (I have support rubs under it)
--Extend front deck back 2 ribs
----Flush mount cooler in front deck
--Deck back end through the front of rear bench.
--Ploing Platform
--Repair very small leaks
----Bottom paint (black)
----Top textured paint (very light green)
--Add Electrical
----Trolling motor (not sure if I can find a bow mount with my rail)
----Bilge Pump with float switch
----Navigation Lights
----Interior / transom LED's

boat2_zps6eb762cb.png

boat3_zpsb9beadf2.png

Here is what I did

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29128

I'd stay away from wooden dowels simply from a durability perspective.

what about one of those bass boat casting seats that look like a oversized bicycle seat on a extension post cut to the height you need/want. I've read of people cutting the seat posts down and re-installing the bushings, don't know how comfy that would be, but something to ponder.

@Lowe 20 77cc - Thanks, this is beautiful, and almost exactly what I had in mind.

@TNtroller - that was my first thought, and it would solve my immediate problem. The thing with the chair is that I have to maneuver the tiller extension over or under the chair back...it's not difficult, just annoying.

I've yet to see anyone make their own leaning post (except the welding guys)...but I think I'm still going to go for it. Staying away from wooden dowels - couldn't I just add 2 more seat post bases to the rear bench (one on each side of the existing on center) and make a butt pad (vinyl wrapped) that has seat mount plates on the bottom side? Then I can just throw my seat posts into the bases, and drop the cushioned top with mounts into those.

The whole thing would be removable, and all of the support pieces would be aluminum...seems pretty simple, maybe I'm wrong.

leaning-post_zps9aaa11af.png

Something like this should work for you.

A backless leaning post with pedestal seat bases.

Wooden dowels typically aren't the highest quality wood from a strength or weather resistance perspective (they warp, twist, crack etc..). I'd be afraid that somebody might get hurt if they broke.

Attachments

• a-2009.jpg
    a-2009.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,568
I'm going to go for it...same design, just using removable seat pedestals for support.

I feel like you guys are going to kick me out of here with all these homebrew mods I'm talking about, but does anyone see an issue with modifying this for a raised front casting deck? It's all aluminum, and it's bolted together...if you remove the seat, and rear cross-brace all you have to do is deck the lower support, and throw on some rubber caps and a turnbuckle. I'd love to have the siderails (I'm often in a lot of Gulf chop) thoughts?

413VXOri6jL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Barstool-Aluminum-Frame-BAL-601TK-0-FLS/dp/B003R5NP0M/ref=sr_1_400?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383697541&sr=1-400&keywords=aluminum+stool

Welcome aboard,

Lots of great builds on this forum. Take you're time and plan it out. Check out this link. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Were in Florida are you?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333816#p333816 said:
Country Dave » 05 Nov 2013, 20:59[/url]"]

Were in Florida are you?

Hudson, little over 1/2 an hour north of Tampa

Lots of members in Florida,

Bigwave is in St. Petersburg, JonBoat Jerry lives in Hudson, Badbagger is in Midway but may move to the Tampa area, Hudflat is in Pasco county. Quite a few members down south Florida as well. Good luck with your build.

A big welcome to Tin Boats Michael, I left my numbers on you answering machine
Country Dave said:
Lots of members in Florida,
Bigwave is in St. Petersburg, JonBoat Jerry lives in Hudson, Badbagger is in Midway but may move to the Tampa area, Hudflat is in Pasco county. Quite a few members down south Florida as well. Good luck with your build.
+2
Hudflat is here in Hudson and BGuy (Brian Guy) is in New Port Richey. Be happy to help you.
Jerry :)

Latest posts