Oarlock cutting board? Done

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Man

Reaction score
I have seen cutting boards/bait prep stations that attach to 15 deg rod holders but I would like to build or buy one that fits in my oarlock and keeps that bait somewhat out of the boat. This would be great for preparing cutbait while catfishing but I haven't seen one. Anyone have any ideas?

After a little looking, I found the old mounts that held the old blind frame on my boat. There were 4, two by the oarlocks, and two in the back. I riveted them all back on.

After that, I found an old 1/2" deep well socket that fit in the bracket perfectly. I used a carriage bolt through it and bolted it to a piece of metal I had around the garage.

My neighbor had an old grill with a plastic table top that was repurposed into a cutting board and voila, a bait station that easily lets the blood drain out of the boat, is moveable around the boat, removable, easily stored and can clean up easily.

When I had my glass boat I just kept a cheap aluminum cake pan under the seat. Cat fishing was simple, just put the pan on the engine cover, bait the hook and keep the mess contained in the pan. If we were dealing with chicken liver I just kept my hand cupped under the bait until it was over the side. Washed up and cast it downstream.

I don't like keeping stuff over the side, it tends to get lost. Maybe get a pin welded to a pan. The pin would go in the oarlock and the pan would keep you gear from falling over the side when you get distracted by a big bite.

Latest posts