2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL8Jeff

Reaction score
So after researching and looking around the past couple of weeks I ended up buying this 2001 Lowe 1652 VT. It has a 1997 Evinrude 40 hp prop outboard, but I think I want to switch to a jet. I might just do the jet conversion to the engine since it runs so well. The original owner estimates it probably has less than 250 hours on it and he just had the water pump impeller replaced last year. I wanted a center console jet but the newer boats were too expensive and finding a decent priced used one in my area will be tough. This boat is pretty clean and the bottom looks really good. The engine runs good and he said it's almost too fast with one person in it. It's nice that it has the floor and side kit along with the console.

Attachments

• Lowe1652VT_6.jpg
    Lowe1652VT_6.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,211
  • Lowe1652VT_4.jpg
    Lowe1652VT_4.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,210
  • Lowe1652VT_3.jpg
    Lowe1652VT_3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,210
  • Lowe1652VT_1.jpg
    Lowe1652VT_1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,210
That looks and sounds like a very good all purpose rig. That hull is a good one and should do you well. Any plans for it other than the jet swap?

Hi Jeff, Thats a nice boat you have there. I am doing a conversion to a center console from a tiller on my boat and I am trying to figure out the dimensions I want. Yours looks about the size I want to build, could you measure yours for me? It would be a big help.

Thanks

The console measures out to 30.5" tall, 19" wide, 13" deep at the bottom and 7" deep at the top. I'm 5' 6" tall and it's just tall enough with the big steering wheel to be comfortable. When I was looking online, I found several places with consoles. This one from U-fab is a little bigger at 36" by 24" by 16" which is probably perfect. I'll probably put a cooler seat in front of the console but no other big plans for the boat at the moment, I have my speed skiff which eats up a bit of my time.

Standard%20console.jpg

https://www.u-fabboats.com/assessories/console.htm

AK McCallum has the Lowe console along with several others.

https://www.akmccallumco.com/store-console.htm

Thanks a lot Jeff,
Thats pretty close to the size of the mock up I did 30.5h x 18w x 16d. I am 5'4 so I think the height of yours is pretty good. I would like to make mine a narrow as possible so that I can easily get up on the front deck.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334164#p334164 said:
rscottp » Today, 12:34[/url]"]Country Dave,
I have been checking out you're build, very cool.

Hey thanks man,

I wish I had the tunnel. My next build will be a 1552 or1652 tunnel. You have a great do anything, go anywhere hull just try and keep it light if you want to fish skinny. I'm already thinking about my next build and this ones not even finished yet........................ :LOL2:

I took the boat out for a test run today to see how it rides. It definitely needs weight moved to the front, it was porpoising bad at barely 1/2 throttle. The 40 hp Evinrude runs good but I couldn't push it much to see what it could do. I was out in shorts and the water is cold (maybe mid 40's) and the air was 53 so it was a chilling ride. The battery and full gas tank are in the back so I will need to move one of them forward to balance it out. I usually go out by myself so I can't count on someone else to balance it out. The console actually felt pretty good for me being 5' 6" but another inch or 2 would help. It should probably be perfect for you at 5' 4". I'm going to try and find a grab rail to mount on the console and possibly a windshield.

Thanks Jeff,
I really think I like the size of your console. I was gonna build one out of 1/2 MDO ply but I may just buy the Lowe in the link you posted. How is the steering cable routed in your boat?

Beautiful rig. I have 1756vt with a 30 evinrude 4stroke and love it. You will love yours too. U think you can post up more pics of the CC. I want to fab one for my rig and would like to see more thanks!!!

I paid $3K for the boat/motor/trailer. The trailer is a 2001 and he had new hubs and bearings done on it last year and the motor had the water pump impeller replaced last year as well.

I'll try to get more pictures soon, but with the time change, I'm getting home in the dark now. Here's a shot of the front of the console mounting. It looks like they took a small piece of angle aluminum and cut a slight V in it and then bent it to match the contour of the floor and then riveted it to the console and the floor. Not a bad idea as it keeps it flush with the floor. I'm kind of surprised the guy bought a roller trailer instead of a bunk trailer but the boat rolled off and into the water easily. I want put some side guides on it but he also replaced the lights last year so they are new as well.

Attachments

• Lowe1652VT_console1.jpg
    Lowe1652VT_console1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,990
I took the boat out for another run yesterday since it was in the 60's and I wanted to use some of the gas. The motor turns out to be a 1996 Evinrude 40 hp based on the model number but it seems to run really well. I had to replace the power trim button/throttle arm on the controls but I had a spare OMC control box sitting in the shed so it was a pretty easy swap (other than cutting all the dealer zip ties and unwrapping all the electrical tape on the wiring). I think I'm 50/50 on converting the motor to a jet vs finding a jet motor.

Sorry if this is an Old post. I found it while googleing Lowes 1654 center console. I have the same boat minus the console. I am about to order a console and wanted you opinion on the one you have. I want a slightly higher than factory seating position but not a full standing position.

I have the same console. Installing it now. last piece of the puzzle is the remote control. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to buy this setup> I have a mercury 25 2 stroke. thanks

Latest posts