Measuring for a floor ~ Help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestTexas

Reaction score
I've got a 1950 Lone Star Commander that I'm slowly modifying whenever I get a day off from work. (( I know, I know - I need to post my project pictures #-o ))
I drilled out the rivets last weekend and popped out the center bench so I could add a section of flat floor while I continue deciding my layout plan. The problem is that I've been having a beach of time trying to measure between the mock-up floor joists the hull. This boat has seen some serious use and evidently when it was new there was very little that was actually square or symmetrical. I've been messing around with the trial and error method but I really just want to secure whatever tools and measuring devices necessary to get this done right the first time Since my time is so limited by work. Does anyone have any suggestions??

I used cardboard to template out my aluminum floor. There are pictures of how I did mine in my build thread. The templating was easy, but cutting the floor was ALOT of cutting, test fitting, cutting again, test fitting again, etc. Had a lot of hours in my floor but I was very "safe" with my cuts to avoid ruining an expensive piece of aluminum sheet. Would rather cut it 100 times and FINALLY get it to fit, rather than cut it too generously one time and not be happy with the end result.

Latest posts