Installing carpet - have a question on teardown

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theacrees

Reaction score
Hi, I am beginning to install carpet in my 86 Landau v-bottom aluminum boat. I have a question on removing the channel that holds the rubber moulding at the top of my boat. This channel/rubber moulding is at the top of my boat and wraps around the front and sides of my boat and serves I guess as a protective bumper. I have drilled out the rivets to the front and back pieces holding the channel. Do I need to pull out the rubber moulding within the channel and there will be rivets behind the moulding attaching the channel to the boat? If so, do I need to pry the channel open a bit when working on pulling the rubber moulding out? Is this how you do it? I need to get that off because the carpet gets held down by this piece of trim.

Thanks!

Welcome Aboard! The link you posted explains it well. I have rubber trim on the inside of my gunwales in the track that holds electrical runs to the front trolling motor and depth finder. The boat didn't come with rubber trim in the stbd side due to not having any wiring run there, until after I added the depth finder. Had to order the trim from the boat dealer. That piece of trim for my 16' boat cost me $51 (included tax & s/h). I had about a 1' piece left over. As stated in the link, I used a flat-bladed screwdriver to install it, and as also stated in the link, it wouldn't slide through the track. :(

theacrees said:
I think I might of found my answer. After doing several Google searches for 'boat rubber moulding channel remove' etc... I discovered that this piece I need removed is called a rub rail. After finding that out, it made my research a little easier. :)

I found a few sites https://www.boats.com/news-reviews/article/replacing-a-rub-rail that I think will help.

Thanks!

Welcome and thanks for joining! Nice find on the Link! =D>

Latest posts