LOOKING FOR NEW BOAT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Dimas

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new boat that is a little more coomfortable than my 14' tinny. It still needs to be light(under 2000lbs) because I tow with a Ford Escape rated 3500lbs. Would like to spend under $5000. Any suggestions? I trout fish around the June Lake area in the Sierras'.

You can stand and walk around in a 16' V or Jon.
If M'lady accompanies you, a Cuddy or a Small Tarp to pull up over the Bow for her convenience.

Run the boat from the Tiller and you'll have much more room in the boat for fishing.

You would be surprised how much more room you get with a 1648 or a 1756 mod v. I went from a 1436 flattbottom to a 1648 mod v with a fron deck and it seems like I have twice the room.

Almost any decent jonboat, barebones or decked, is what you´re looking for.
In my particular case, i went from a 1232 with 50lbs electric to a 1760 with 60hp. It has been awesome. Almost every day turns into joy. I could even invite my family!

The only additional recommendation, that has saved us multiple hassles, is to add a locking rear differential to the truck that pulls the boat. We have tackled slippery ramps, climbing uneven roads, and even undocking without proper ramps with the additional traction of the locker. There are some good differentials that are bolt-ons on the stock differential case, that turn the trucks into decently capable pullers; im talking about 500 usd.

When pulling heavier stuff, many trucks feel not very confident when adverse conditions appear. Most of the time, even with stock tires, there's a big difference with a rear locker.