Adding flotation foam? What type and where do I get it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotto

Reaction score
I am converting a v-hull 14'. All the flotation foam is gone inside the seat benches. It's an old boat and I'm not sure there ever was any? I'd rather not sink and think I should add some. Do I use the stuff they sell at home depot in the spray can or is there another option?

Thanks

Scotto

Do not use the spray stuff. I'm not positive, but I believe that stuff is open cell foam and I know it expands and can distort or rip apart any confined space container that it is sprayed in to. I'm sure you will get several suggestions over the next few days. Things like pool noodles, the blue or pink rigid foam boards that Lowes or Home Depot sell etc. Or you can do some research on different types of "closed cell" foam and find something you like even better.

Buy the blue or pink Dow Foam Board. It comes in many thicknesses, up to 2" for typical johnboats, 1.5" to 2" thickness should be fine. This board is closed-cell, so it will not absorb water.

Thanks guys! I knew there was something bad about the spray foam but couldn't remember.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334917#p334917 said:
Scotto » Today, 15:02[/url]"]Thanks guys! I knew there was something bad about the spray foam but couldn't remember.

Yeah, it acts like a sponge and soaks up water, bigtime. This is bad enough in freshwater, but in saltwater, it can destroy a boat.

Manufacturers use a 2-part pour-in epoxy foam, which is closed-cell and does not absorb water. They typically have several points on the boat where they insert a plastic bag, blow it full of foam, then cap the hole. I personally prefer foam board, if it ever DID need to be replaced, it's way easier than trying to dig out manufacturer installed foam.

Latest posts