temporarily moving the boat from the trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
ok, i have a 14' jon boat that has been modified and is very heavy. I am trying to remove the boat from the trailer so I can do some trailer work. Now, without using a pool or the lake to store the boat while i work on the trailer......is there a way that I can remove it while being in the garage? has anyone done this before?

I do not want to place it on the ground cause I dont think i/we will be able to lift it back up. It is VERY heavy. I know I should have done this BEFORE the modification, but it is what it is.

so, how can i take it off and possibly store it on "something" while i work on it. now, i can figure out the "store on what" but its the lift off the trailer that i am having problems with.......once I get it off, i have to get it back on. UGH!!

attached is a pic of the boat in this topic

Attachments

• DSCF7227.JPG
    DSCF7227.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 1,121
Lower the tongue of the trailer to the ground this will raise the back of the boat. Put some type of support under the transom now raise the tongue as high as it goes. This will lift the boat off the bunks. Now put some support under the front of the boat and lower the tongue a little the boat should be off the trailer. Now you will be able to move the trailer part way out from under the boat you will have to raise the tougue and re-support the front of the boat one or more times until the trailer is completely clear of the boat.

Hook the trailer up to the truck . Tie the back of the boat to something (tree ect.) , put a 55 barrel under the back of the boat laying on its side. Pull the trailer out from under the boat , but before the bow clears the end of the trailer put another drum under the front of the boat . Drive the trailer out from under it. You can actually get by with just a barrel under the bow to hold it up high enough to back the trailer under it when your finished with the trailer . That boat isn't that heavy , winch it back on.

I was able to lay my 16ft V bottom on the ground (with OB removed) and the use the winch to get it back on the trailer by myself

You raise the trailer with the end under the front of the boat - hook up the winch and start cranking - it will move on to the trailer no problem.

Once on the ground you can slide whatever you want under the boat so it does not touch the ground (although it will not hurt it if it is just sitting on the ground)

There are places I launch my boat where its sitting on the bottom and I have to lift the bow on the bunks and winch it on.

ok, one final though/question.......

if i were to use cinder blocks and place a piece of ply wood on top of the blocks, then rest the boat on the plywood so i can remove the trailer for a few weeks.......... what are the chances I can "crush" the hull of the boat?would it be best to only support the corners of the boat on the blocks rather than the whole back end?

am i making sense?

I have always lowered the tongue of the trailer and placed jack stands with carpet covered boards. I use this method with fiberglass boats that weigh 4k and I never have a problem.
Laying it plywood should be no problem.
However your cinder blocks are subject to tip over. I'd find something more solid to place under the ply.