Floor - carpet or paint ? fasten to ribs or dont fasten

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
I just made a floor for my 1436 alumacraft and Im looking for some input.

do you guys think indoor/outdoor carpet or an exterior paint ir better for the floor? Im thinking of going with the paint so I can easily hose off the entire boat without concerns of wetting the carpet. I would probably put grip tape on the floor if I go with paint instead of carpet.

also, whats better? screwing down the floor to the ribs, or leaving it loose?

thanks !

k7z2.jpg

I use my boat for waterfowl hunting so I went with a painted floor just sitting in the boat.

The small wood deck I did on my Jon I used some paint and added a texture adder I found at my paint/hardware store. I'm pretty sure it's just sand. I really like the result I had. It was definitely cheaper than carpeting. Also cleans easy.

I like my floor being screwed down. I don't like carpet in a boat. Hooks get stuck in it. Sand gets trapped in it. Mud cakes in it.
I like something painted on it. I use Skid No More. Paint it on , then you can just hose it off.

thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with carpet right after I started this thread.

te5d.jpg

I guess Ill start a new thread in the conversions and mods section soon.

Looks sharp!

My preference is to seal the wood really really well and then just lay a piece of carpet on top .... maybe using a little bit of velcro to keep it in place. That way I get the benefit of carpet while fishing, but can take it out and roll it up for cleaning the boat and for winter storage.

Also, personally I secure my floors with only a few screws .... just enough to keep from moving or vibrating. I don't see any reason to go nuts poking holes in my boat if I don't have to. I've even had a few floors that just sat there with no screws ... worked fine.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337418#p337418 said:
hawghunters » 29 Dec 2013, 23:07[/url]"]The small wood deck I did on my Jon I used some paint and added a texture adder I found at my paint/hardware store. I'm pretty sure it's just sand. I really like the result I had. It was definitely cheaper than carpeting. Also cleans easy.

what type of paint did you use? i have been researching here and things point to porch paint but have been painting the wood on my hunting buggy with valspar tractor paint with a little hardner with good protection results. i also found that you shouldn't paint the bottom of the wood so the moisture can escape. have you found this to be true?

Latest posts