Adding a fuel gauge??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooutlandis

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a boat project going right now and I'm just about to the point that I will be wiring everything up and getting my decks installed. I have a 9 gallon fuel tank that doesn't have a fuel sending unit and I was wondering if I can cut a hole in the tank to install one. They are a pretty cheap addition and it would be nice to know whats in the tank since it will be permanantly under the rear flipping deck. Any and All help is appreciated.

Thank you

Sealing the tank afterwards is the real problem. You'll have only plastic to screw into. Usually a tank that has an opening for a sending unit has a thicker section to screw into or nuts in the plastic.
I'd say that if you can get it sealed properly, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you get all of the drill shavings out.

If you have an aluminum tank, then I don't see any problem.

+1 sealing the tank after the fact may be tricky at best. Believe it or not, the simplest best fuel gauge is just a stick with a few lines on it to measure the volume. You'll see guys use them on everything from Jon boats to $30k skiffs. Less is more.

X2 on what kfa4303 said. You will be able to buy some new fishing tackle with the money that you will save, plus an extra day of fishing :D

If you want a calibrated indication, mark the lines after you add 2.25 gallons (1/4 tank), another 2.25 gallons, etc. with the boat at the same pitch as when it is in the water.

Right on everyone. Sounds like it will be more of a pain than anything, and Im sure I will be using my trolling motor most of the time so as long as I fill my tank every trip I should be good. Thank you for all of your quick replies. Once my project is complete I will post all of the pics. Almost There!!!!!

Latest posts