25HP vs 40HP motor swap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg64vw

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Bass Tracker Guide Special v16 with side console steering and a 25 HP Merc. I have access to a really nice mid 80s 40 HP merc. Would this be a good swap or would the additional weight really make the back sit low. This boat is rated up to 40 HP but I would like to get opinions from people with similar setups? Thanks in advance.

A 40HP two-stroke will be just fine on your boat .... and you'll be really happy with the performance increase from the 25.

If the boat is rated for a 40, then it can safely and comfortably handle the weight. No worries.

Not sure of the weight of that motor, but I have a 1994 Johnson 50/35 on a Tracker 16MV. It weighs right at about 200#. Boat doesn't seem stern heavy and actually with just me in the boat it seems to be slighty bow heavy when up on plane. I have a stick steer setup so the captains seat is up towards the bow. I also have 2 group 27 batteries under my bow deck. I would say those 15 extra HP's would make you really happy.

The 40 HP motor isn't that much heavier and the added HP will make a Big difference. Make sure when mounting the Foil on the motor is at or just above the boat bottom. I moved my motor up 1 1/2" to accomplish this and gained 4MPH. Good Fishing!

No experience with either motor or boat, but bet it would be a good and worthwhile swap.

If the boat is rated for 40 hp, it will be a measurable difference. Not just speed either. The amount of time it takes to get on plane will drop quite a bit. Top speed might change 3-6 mph. It's not a HUGE difference, but it is a difference (assuming that 40 is running right).

Latest posts