16 ft mod-v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red-Eye

Reaction score
Hello there everybody. I have been having a small leak in the middle spine on the bottom of my mod-v aluminum Jon boat. The guy i bought it from said he used JB weld to cover the holes in the past. I have put some though into it and decided that maybe i should try something different to stop it from leaking. Some have told me to put an outdoor silicone on it and that would be able to fill the holes and any other spots where the aluminum has separated. Another idea pitched at me was to just Tuf-Coat over the spine. In my mind this sounded like a great thought due to the durability of it. However i would like to know if anyone else has done it before. Would the tuf coat catch on my trailer if it has carpeted beams? also would the Tufcoat infact seal the leak off?

I am just a noob, but I would recommend some GluvIt. A tad pricey even for me, but I bit the bullet and got some. I would bet that would do the trick.

Lots of ideas on this subject. Not wrong, just different.

Personally, I think putting things like Tuff-Coat or bedliner on or in a boat is a terrible idea. Water will still get under the coating and cause corrosion and it doesn't actually fix your leaks. And when you have to remove it, you'll teach yourself some really interesting new swear words.

Hands down the best way to fix a leak is to actually FIX it, not just plug it with something that may or may not work.

Leaky seams mean loose rivets. Track down the leaky rivets and replace properly.

Holes and cracks should be welded. Its not expensive and is the best way to fix it. Tow it to a shop, wait for an hour, and tow it home. Simple and effective.