Transom Replacement Questions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketheknife

Reaction score
Need to replace the transom on my 69 Rich Line Model 15. The existing fasteners are non stainless carriage bolts. I know to use stainless. Is the grade 18-8 sold by Fastenal ok for this? What type fastener, carriage, hex, round? Washers? More sources?
Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Mike

I've always used Stainless above the water line, and Bronze below. That's for Salt water.

Post a photo, it would make it easier to see what size bolts you'll need. Minimum 1/4" shank though. :p

I need 1/4" shank. I just wanted to know the best type of bolt/screw and washer configuration. I will coat with 3M marine sealant.
Here is a pic of the existing transom.

Thanks,
Mike

That one's easy. Good looking boat too.
Just Stainless Carriage bolts with Ny-loc nuts on the inside with washers.
Clip the ends close so you don't catch your line on the nuts or wreck a plastic gas tank on them.

And buy a can of anti seize to lubricate the bolt threads with or they will gall when you screw the nuts on and you will end up twisting the bolts and breaking them.

I was wondering about using Ny-locs with carriage bolts. Won't the bolts turn? How about using Loctite and regular ss nuts? Maybe I am over thinking this, but I want it right. I am on a severe Social Security budget. :mrgreen:
Thanks,
Mike

Nyloc's is the way to go. Don't use any of that Goop on your bolts & Nuts.
I hope you have a pretty good piece of wood on the inside to match that one on the outside. I don't know of any reason to have wood on the outside, maybe for show or repair, but it's not necessary. Won't hurt anything though. We used to make the whole boat out of wood. :LOL2:

On older boats always cut the fasteners off. Don't try to un-screw some rusted old fastener. Cut the Nut or Head off and drive the rusty shank out with a Pin Punch. :wink:

Why use carriage bolts?
I would use a pan head type so there was not a square of metal rotating/carving the wood when the bolt/nut was tightened. Am I missing something (I probably am).

As far as bolt supply goes. Figure out how many of each you need and then run through a couple places online. I cannot remember the place I got my bolts last time (somewhere out of TX), but almost all the places I tried were cheaper than Fastenal.

{edit}
Found it, this was the place...

https://www.fmwfasteners.com/Products

... but check around.

SDG, thanks for the link. The Phillips Truss Machine Screws in 18-8 stainless are just what I was looking for. I will check more sources.
Thanks to all for the responses,
Mike

Latest posts