Pods on a tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCgar

Reaction score
Can you share your opinion on pods on a tiller Jon. I'm getting a 17 or 18' mod v with tiller steering I'll be fishing flats, rivers and crossing a bay here and there. I'm wanting to know if the pods/sponsons would be better than just a stabilizer. It'll be my 9 year old (skinny) son in the front and me (not skinny) in the back with a 50hp motor, but will also be me and my buds on occasion. Wanting a good hole shot and overall performance. Thanks

Pods are generally used to offset the added weight of the newer 4-stroke engines.

If you're looking for a hole shot, you might wann'a check into trim tabs...a much cheaper alternative...depending on the situation...

Rod
Oriental, NC

I'm looking at a tohatsu 4 stroke which are not that heavy but i do want to run as shallow as i can. Don't want a tunnel so by my research it seems like a setback/jack plate with pods would be the way to go, I just haven't seen too many tiller drives with this setup.

I just haven't seen too many tiller drives with this setup.

There's just not that much of a gain with a 50 hp tiller to justify the cost of pods and a jackplate (approx. $750 to $1000 minimum).

Rod
Oriental, NC

I'm also seeing it as protecting my investment, I sometimes fish back of nueces bay and those oyster beds seem to pop out of nowhere. I have a 1444 alweld now with a mini jacker and like the lift/setback but does cause it to get more back heavy.

I agreee that pods are probably overkill for that particular set up. As others have said, they're generally used to offset the extra weight of a 4-stroke. However, if the boat isn't "squatting" in the stern and hops up on plane, you should be fine. Save your money on gas and bait. Besides, the old timers didn't have any of that stuff and they can fish us all under the table. +1 on going with a tiller! A man after my own heart ;)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm scratching the pods but still considering jack plate.

Latest posts