Re painting old boat... rustoelum... questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman529

Reaction score
Got some 400 sandpaper to rough up the old paint on my late '60s (I think, no hull number) McKenzie Cherokee 13 ft V hull. The old paint is adherent, no chipping or flaking, only a few small spots have been scratched or rubbed off from rocks or the trailer. The rest of the paint is solid white with no damage. I am going to rough it up and clean it very well, and then put a little self etching primer over the scratched areas, and then put a couple base coats of a single color Rustoleum Camouflage paint and then use the other colors and some grass to make a camo pattern. Then run over it with a clear coat. Does this sound like it will work and is there anything I definitely need to do differently? Thanks

the rustoleum should stick fine to the boat. I used a high gloss rustoleum without any primer or prepping (besides sanding and a good wash) and its held up very nice. just make sure you leave it out to dry for a real long time.

Attachments

• 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 918
  • 208.jpg
    208.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 918
  • 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 918
Thanks. I scrubbed it, sanded it, wiped clean a couple times with clean damp rag, put a little etching primer on the worn areas, and am now getting ready for the first coat.

I can't find a flat clear coat in a rattle can. I was just gonna do gloss, since the boat has very few dents and would look good in gloss anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a clear coat. Not sure it's going to provide much more protection anyway. Since your camo'ing your boat, are you planning on hunting out of it? If so, I definitely wouldn't use any sort of gloss paint or clear coat. Will defeat the purpose. Only other thing I'll add is to give the entire boat a good wipe down with acetone or paint thinnner prior to painting/primering. And yes, let your boat bake in the sun for at least a few days to help the paint cure. I used Parker duck boat paint on mine and put it back on the trailer after only a day or two. Nicked up the paint pretty good in a few spots. After it sat for a few more days the paint was rock hard.

I just got done painting it but haven't added a clear coat. I did find a satin finish acrylic clear coat that I plan to spray on in a little while. Here is the boat out to get some sun before work, then ill have to put it back out in the sun tomorrow morning.

https://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee485/catman529/4F5555E8-907D-4D49-9032-3A206AECFF39-8849-000013026CE2F250_zps0d97b4c3.jpg

Can't post the pic here cause the forum won't let me upload or post because of size constraints and I can't resize from the iPhone. Click the link for pic

I like the way the cammo came out. I agree I wouldn't clear coat the boat and yes let her bake in the sun I put my boat on my trailer a few days after I painted it and it stuck to my bunker boards lol.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342163#p342163 said:
catman529 » 18 Feb 2014, 17:37[/url]"]I just got done painting it but haven't added a clear coat. I did find a satin finish acrylic clear coat that I plan to spray on in a little while. Here is the boat out to get some sun before work, then ill have to put it back out in the sun tomorrow morning.

https://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee485/catman529/4F5555E8-907D-4D49-9032-3A206AECFF39-8849-000013026CE2F250_zps0d97b4c3.jpg

Can't post the pic here cause the forum won't let me upload or post because of size constraints and I can't resize from the iPhone. Click the link for pic
I found that if you email yourself the photo from the iPhone you can get the file size small enough to post it here.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342218#p342218 said:
rscottp » Today, 07:25[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342163#p342163 said:
catman529 » 18 Feb 2014, 17:37[/url]"]I just got done painting it but haven't added a clear coat. I did find a satin finish acrylic clear coat that I plan to spray on in a little while. Here is the boat out to get some sun before work, then ill have to put it back out in the sun tomorrow morning.

I found that if you email yourself the photo from the iPhone you can get the file size small enough to post it here.
Thanks for the tip

Catman,

Any chance you have a photo of the boat before you started painting? I have a 1974 Sears 12' boat that is in serious need of repainting. I picked up the a year ago and used it for the entire season in all the lakes by me. I actually planned on just painting the inside or doing a rhino liner thing to the inside of the boat. Your boat looks great - I was just wondering what kind of shape was it in to start. BTW, the guy I bought the boat from added some sort of heavy aluminum paint to the outside. I bet it was to reduce leaks. I would love to get rid of it and paint it camo like yours (or just a hunter green). I suspect I would absolutely need the rhino liner inside to compensate. I am also curious where you are located - north or south. The posts seem to imply you just did the painting.

Mike

Here is the inside view of the boat.

image.jpg

Agreed. Clear coat is only going to cause you trouble! It is not as durable as the paint is, and once it yellows, cracks and starts to peel, you are going to HATE it!

If your boat looks good, stop now!

Just a free opinion, of course. Take it for what it's worth.

-TH

Just clicked on your pic link.... Nice camo! I really like that pattern.

Did you do that with a spray can?

Again, I would not clearcoat that. It looks great, and if you get scratches, you can always touch it up. If you clearcoat, touch ups will look funny...

-TH

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342489&sid=e2521d16da55c0c688a92bcfa263e688#p342489 said:
mikechro » 22 Feb 2014, 09:39[/url]"]Catman,

Any chance you have a photo of the boat before you started painting? I have a 1974 Sears 12' boat that is in serious need of repainting. I picked up the a year ago and used it for the entire season in all the lakes by me. I actually planned on just painting the inside or doing a rhino liner thing to the inside of the boat. Your boat looks great - I was just wondering what kind of shape was it in to start. BTW, the guy I bought the boat from added some sort of heavy aluminum paint to the outside. I bet it was to reduce leaks. I would love to get rid of it and paint it camo like yours (or just a hunter green). I suspect I would absolutely need the rhino liner inside to compensate. I am also curious where you are located - north or south. The posts seem to imply you just did the painting.

Mike

Here is the inside view of the boat.

nice little boat. I am in Tennessee and took advantage of a warm few days to paint. The boat was originally white and paint in good condition. Not one leak in the boat either. Couple of very small dents in the hull but in great shape considering the age.

I hope I don't regret the clear coat... the stuff I bought was satin finish and advertised not to yellow in the sun. So it is not gloss but adds just the slightest sheen... I only put on a very light coat.

Latest posts