what type of lumber for decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking to start my remodel of an old 16' richline aluminum. I was wondering though, am I adding too much weight by adding a casting deck and back deck? There will also be batteries and a trolling motor and etc. What type of lumber should I use?

You can use 15/32" exterior ply coated w/ spar urethane. If you can use aluminum framing it would reduce weight.

i used aluminum framing and 23/32" plywood (tried 15/32" found it too flimsy). very heavy.

i really wish that i had just bit the bullet and gotten some aluminum sheeting to use when i did it the first time... because i am going to replace it with aluminum this year and it's going to cost me way more in the long run to do it twice than if i had just spent the money for the aluminum in the beginning.

I have a 16' Alumacraft, and out of sheer cost... (the wood was free) I used 2x4s and 3/4" plywood.

The Frame, top deck, and vertical face weighs a total of 75lbs...

Not including carpet and glue.

I dont have money, so this was a no brainer to use. I didnt have another option.

I am please so far... I think I am going to keep my battery and gas can in the rear to maybe offset some of the weight.

I just need a bigger motor.... gonna be a little sluggish with a 7.5hp...

I believe it is 48" at the base. And I also am on a budget. I really would love to use aluminum but it is over twice the cost. Regardless I will buy a bigger motor so that is not an issue. I just didn't know if 2x2 cedar and 1/2" plywood would be too heavy. I think as long as it doesn't add more than 50-70 lbs I will be fine. Just gonna be pond hopping and stream fishing. I just want to stay afloat lol.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343204#p343204 said:
cardinaljosh88 » Yesterday, 20:23[/url]"]And I also am on a budget. I really would love to use aluminum but it is over twice the cost. Regardless I will buy a bigger motor so that is not an issue.

It is going to cost you more to buy a bigger motor than it will be to use aluminum decking.......

I used 12mm sandeply. It is more expensive than cdx sheeting, but well worth it. It is much easier to work with and since it is cabinet grade plywood that has no internal voids, which is critical when trying to waterproof a piece of wood. I found when I used exterior sheeting that my edges had voids which were impossible to fully seal. Sandeply takes care of this problem and is similar to marine ply in this aspect. From what I have gathered, cheap grade marine ply is nothing more than cabinet grade with waterproof glue. If you take the time to fully seal with spar urethane or epoxy you should get several years of good use out of plywood decks.

DO NOT use Sandeply, if you have any other option! The internal glue is NOT waterproof.

I did, and it all delaminated after awhile.

-TH