Bunks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernot

Reaction score
I was wondering if the "new" type of treated lumber was OK for use on carpeted bunks, under a painted alum. boat?

I wouldn't do it, but that just my 2 cents.

I am going to use some regular ol 2x4s from Lowes, maybe 3 or 4 coats of spar urethane and wrap them in some outdoor rubber backed carpet....

Better off to buy yellow pine at Lowe's or HD. Treat it with epoxy resin and depending on how your attaching maybe seal the lag screws or bolts with some sealant. Also I leave the bottom side of the bunk unwrapped so the water can drain out from the carpet allowing the boards to dry more thoroughly.

I installed them 2 years ago and jacked up the boat to check for corrosion last summer and found none, however I'm still not convinced it was a good idea. I may check the hull again tomorrow.I think I wrapped the wood in heavy mil plastic, but can't remember :roll:, just read WVfishinfools post and yes I completely wrapped the 2x4s w marine carpet, that's how the factory ones were done.

I have heard the brand Yellawood is ok to use uncoated fasteners and against aluminum.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343337#p343337 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls » Today, 09:28[/url]"]Don't do it.
Look for southern yellow pine, cedar or cyprus.
+100x on this. Me and my friends have redone several over the years and have used yellow pine and what I described above. I also like to go ahead and attach the boards to the trailer first then glue the carpet down on top first. Let it dry over night. Then you can go along underneath and pull the carpet down tight and staple with stainless staples and an electric staple gun. Makes it a whole lot easier.

Thanks all the replies/opinions, I have noticed the boat seems to be harder to get off the trailer last few times and wonder if it's corrosion causing that. I'm going to replace the treated wood and get some better quality carpet too.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343464#p343464 said:
worminken » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 pm[/url]"]I'm using Trex decking boards. The boat will slide on and off the trailer very smoothly.
Trex is not a structurally strong choice for a bunks.

Just a thought about this subject and not trying to sway opinions BUT: I spoke salesman at a boat dealership that is nation wide. I'm not going to say the name but they are one of the most widely known. Now for accuracy of this comment I spoke with a salesman and not someone in the shop. When I asked him about what board(s) they used on their trailer bunks new and used (replacements) and I explained why I was asking he said he wasn't even aware there was a problem. He had been in the business for over 20 year (according to him) and that was the first he's ever heard of this. :?:

Just invest in some ultimate bunk boards and be done with it.

I wasn't aware either until someone said don't do it so I started researching and discovered it is a problem. The ones that came on my 2009 trailer were untreated.........

I used 3" X 8" X 15' cypress treated with a deck sealer and capped with 1" X 3" X 15 PVC exterior trim fastened with SS screws.
(No carpet to hold moisture and rot the bunks) Boat easily slides off the PVC.

Attachments

• DSC00475.JPG
    DSC00475.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 954
  • DSCN0314s.jpg
    DSCN0314s.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 954
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343807#p343807 said:
Jonboat Jerry » Yesterday, 11:44[/url]"]I used 3" X 8" X 15' cypress treated with a deck sealer and capped with 1" X 3" X 15 PVC exterior trim fastened with SS screws.

One word. Sweet!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343807#p343807 said:
Jonboat Jerry » Yesterday, 11:44[/url]"]I used 3" X 8" X 15' cypress treated with a deck sealer and capped with 1" X 3" X 15 PVC exterior trim fastened with SS screws.

What's the PVC exterior trim used on originally and where did you find it.

Found it at Lowes. product item number is 209620
Royal Mouldings Limited 0.75-in x 3.5-in x 8-ft Interior/Exterior Paint Grade PVC S4S Moulding (Pattern 7318)
Item #: 209620 | Model #: 07318 $13.04 for 8' stick....Jerry :)

Thats pretty nice Jerry, I didn't think about PVC for bunk toppers but I used the pvc brickmold trim when I replaced the rotted front door threshold and stormdoor, it's cheap and will never rot, + it didn't need painting, the house trim is white! I can't afford Cypress but might try to use the pvc on my bunks. How deep did you countersink the screws?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344248#p344248 said:
juggernot » Yesterday, 22:05[/url]"]Thats pretty nice Jerry, I didn't think about PVC for bunk toppers but I used the pvc brickmold trim when I replaced the rotted front door threshold and stormdoor, it's cheap and will never rot, + it didn't need painting, the house trim is white! I can't afford Cypress but might try to use the pvc on my bunks. How deep did you countersink the screws?

I agree juggernot, seems jerry has an eye for things like this. I think I'm going to take a look at it as a covering on my Bunks also. It looks like it comes in different sizes too.

Latest posts