2014 Grizzly 1648 SC with 20 hp Merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
I'm looking at buy the new 2014 Grizzly 1648 SC with 20 hp Merc. I can't afford to go bigger with the motor, the 20 hp fits my budget. I would like to hear from somebody who has one of these boats with a 20 hp on it and what you think about it. I'm upgrading from a 14x36 with a 9.9 hp.

I have a 1650 Lowe Roughneck w/ a 20hp Merc. Its alright. I went with the 20 because a local lake has a 20hp limit. We dont have huge lakes where I'm from so its not a big deal. With one passenger and my dog and some gear I get up on a plane just fine. However, add one more person and its slow going. If I lived near a place with big lakes I would go bigger. When I'm fishing with just one other person I can cruise around the lake at a pretty decent speed.

Honestly, if I was you and I didnt have a reason I needed only a 20hp I would wait and save the extra money to get a bigger motor, but if you ABSOLUTELY have to have a 20hp and cant wait you will be okay.

Nobody ever complains about having too much motor power.

BTW the 20hp merc runs great, turn the choke on- starts right up, even in single digit temps.

I'm looking at the same setup with a 20hp mercury. Do you have a 12 or 24 volt trolling motor? We have restricted lakes and electric only lakes. Can you get 20mph with 2 guys and how do you like your boat?

i had a 1648 with a 30hp, 2 guys and gear 27 mph. cruised at 20. would poirpose over 27.try to go bigger. 25 min.

A 20 will work fine if you don't have far to go, if you like to make long runs then you will want a bigger motor, What kind of fishing do you do? What kind of water do you fish? how much load will you carry? these are questions that will determine what is best for you. Also of course is the budget thing, a 20 is cheaper than a 30 and if it will get the job done then that's just how it goes.

Latest posts