Anyone know the best way to hide piano hinges?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begeti

Reaction score
Hey all! I want to use piano hinges on my build but don't like the looks of them outside of the flooring. Does anyone know the best way to hide these and make them invisible or nearly invisible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If possible, mount the hinge to the edge of the hatch or compartment lid, not on the surface. Only the spine of the hinge will show, not even that much if you have carpeting. This may not be possible on your build, depending on what you are building.

The offset hinges work great, but are hard to find for plywood thinner than 3/4". For my hatches that are being made from 1/2" ply I am using #6 1 inch screws. I plan on putting a small amount of glue on the screws as I put them into the end grain. With a screw every two inches I don't think I will have any problems.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349880#p349880 said:
gah319 » 23 Apr 2014, 20:18[/url]"]The offset hinges work great, but are hard to find for plywood thinner than 3/4". For my hatches that are being made from 1/2" ply I am using #6 1 inch screws. I plan on putting a small amount of glue on the screws as I put them into the end grain. With a screw every two inches I don't think I will have any problems.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you guys find your hinges?

Latest posts