Just looking for opinions on Yamaha motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake11

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I'm brand new to this type of boating. I've always love fishing but never had a boat so the other day I picked up a little Jon boat. Title says its a 87 sears sea nymph. Think looks great and doesn't leak a drop. I'm trying to make a decent little 1 man lake/pond boat out of it. I've been looking at used outboards for a few days in the 3 to 5 HP range and I came across an old boy that has a 89 Yamaha 3hp that runs like a top for what seems like a reasonable price. I don't know much if anything about these small HP outboards so I'm just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance

Myself,I'm a Honda guy but Yamaha are fine motors. Since we are talking used it's hard to predict how this Yammy will serve you. Is it a two stroke ?, four ?.....then change the oils both upper and lower ...zome check the water pump,the impeller,the zinc anode,givd it a try...make sure the motor pisses water...cooling,unless it's air cooled like my Honda BF2 (2010). Have fun,enjoy your Yammy !

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351509#p351509 said:
DanMC » Yesterday, 22:57[/url]"]Forgot to mention clean fuel, use (try) only ethanol free gasoline ! ,very important !

^^^^^^Very important IMO.^^^^^^^^

Yamaha outboards in general are great. Can not speak on this exact motor but in general you will be pleased with the performance of them.

I got a 20, I looked at the 15, it was the exact same motor just a few more dollars and 5 more hp. Same weight and size, to me it made sense to spend the extra money and get more hp for the same basic motor.

Thanks for the input! It's a 2 stroke. would ask about the crazy looking mix ratio thats on the sticker but i saw the many pages of arguments on here and iboats about it already so i'll leave that subject alone.... lol. i would love to have a honda myself. everything i've ever owned with a honda sticker on it (atv, dirt bike, lawn mowers etc...) has performed outstanding and most are still running to this day but i'm trying to keep the budget low on this pond boat so that more or less ruled the honda's out. I went ahead and picked up the yamaha 3hp so hopefully it was cared for by previous owners and will treat me well. thanks again for the advice and i'm sure i'll have more boat related questions down the road as i already have a project or two involving the boat developing in my head! transom board replacement being the 1st...)

Latest posts