'80 BAss Tracker III In need of a makeover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsack

Reaction score
greetings, first post here.

As the title says, I have a 1980 bass tracker III with a 60 hp. Evinrude 2 cylinder out board.(which I don't think is very common for trackers, but that is another thread) I bought it 4 years ago from my uncle used it a lot the first year and a half. It had a few issues, sometimes hard to start, depth finder issues. and the reason I have not used the boat in going on 3 years is the trolling motor died and I never replaced it.

I am ready to start getting her sea worthy again, but I know I need to do more than just slap a new trolling motor on it. the boat has always had some leaky rivets, my uncle always said just have a good bilge pump... Also some of the carpet is relatively new, some is really really old and wore out. I would like to change it all, probably change color as well. The floor in the bottom of the boat is rotten and soft. The wiring is probably shot. The Trailer is ok but needs new bunks and carpet and paint.

So I am thinking of stripping the entire boat down to the aluminum and starting from a blank canvas. But this kind of scares me. I know its going to be a big project. I am trying to think of all of the things that will need addressing. but I am getting a bit overwhelmed.

This brings me here looking for guidance and ideas, things to do and not to do.

There are some things I know I need/want to do differently from the original boat.
1)new trolling motor obviously but 12 or 24 volt? how many lbs of thrust.
2)in addition to the TM wiring, I want to rewire the boat and add some circuits but what is really needed?
3)need to address rod storage, even with modifications by my uncle its hard to accomidate rods over 6.5 feet.
4)Ive had some problems getting the outboard to start in the past, it is some sort of electrical gremlin. Im gonna have an outboard tech go over it with a fine tooth comb.
5)What do I need to do with the rivets?
6)the old depth finder at the console died, I had replaced it with a cheap humming bird but don't think I got the instalation right. so I would like to put in something better. my goal is something that will read at speed. but I don't even know if its possible

Ugh. My head hurts. Ill drag it out of the garage tomorrow for some pictures. Thank you for reading my ramblings and I look forward to any insight.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351940#p351940 said:
Bigsack » Sun May 11, 2014 12:32 am[/url]"]greetings, first post here.

As the title says, I have a 1980 bass tracker III with a 60 hp. Evinrude 2 cylinder out board.(which I don't think is very common for trackers, but that is another thread) I bought it 4 years ago from my uncle used it a lot the first year and a half. It had a few issues, sometimes hard to start, depth finder issues. and the reason I have not used the boat in going on 3 years is the trolling motor died and I never replaced it.

I am ready to start getting her sea worthy again, but I know I need to do more than just slap a new trolling motor on it. the boat has always had some leaky rivets, my uncle always said just have a good bilge pump... Also some of the carpet is relatively new, some is really really old and wore out. I would like to change it all, probably change color as well. The floor in the bottom of the boat is rotten and soft. The wiring is probably shot. The Trailer is ok but needs new bunks and carpet and paint.

So I am thinking of stripping the entire boat down to the aluminum and starting from a blank canvas. But this kind of scares me. I know its going to be a big project. I am trying to think of all of the things that will need addressing. but I am getting a bit overwhelmed.

This brings me here looking for guidance and ideas, things to do and not to do.

There are some things I know I need/want to do differently from the original boat.
1)new trolling motor obviously but 12 or 24 volt? how many lbs of thrust.
2)in addition to the TM wiring, I want to rewire the boat and add some circuits but what is really needed?
3)need to address rod storage, even with modifications by my uncle its hard to accomidate rods over 6.5 feet.
4)Ive had some problems getting the outboard to start in the past, it is some sort of electrical gremlin. Im gonna have an outboard tech go over it with a fine tooth comb.
5)What do I need to do with the rivets?
6)the old depth finder at the console died, I had replaced it with a cheap humming bird but don't think I got the instalation right. so I would like to put in something better. my goal is something that will read at speed. but I don't even know if its possible

Ugh. My head hurts. Ill drag it out of the garage tomorrow for some pictures. Thank you for reading my ramblings and I look forward to any insight.

12 or 24v depends on where and what you will be fishing for. I have a 04 tracker PT175 with a 12v MK Terrova/IP set up, and it works fine for trolling/longlining for crappie for as long as I want. I can't pull cranks for long tho, not enough juice and have not bothered to install a 2nd TM battery.

Wiring, you will need to decide "what" is important to you in terms of accessories, but bilge/nav lights are a requirement. Again, will you fish at night, just daylight, type of fishing you do.

FF:
Might try correcting the install issues with the one you have, buying a new FF and making the same install mistakes will not solve anything.

Suggest you post up additional info about how you fish (lake or river), species, etc, and then members can make some good suggestions for you to consider.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351948#p351948 said:
TNtroller » 11 May 2014, 07:33[/url]"]

12 or 24v depends on where and what you will be fishing for. I have a 04 tracker PT175 with a 12v MK Terrova/IP set up, and it works fine for trolling/longlining for crappie for as long as I want. I can't pull cranks for long tho, not enough juice and have not bothered to install a 2nd TM battery.

Wiring, you will need to decide "what" is important to you in terms of accessories, but bilge/nav lights are a requirement. Again, will you fish at night, just daylight, type of fishing you do.

FF:
Might try correcting the install issues with the one you have, buying a new FF and making the same install mistakes will not solve anything.

Suggest you post up additional info about how you fish (lake or river), species, etc, and then members can make some good suggestions for you to consider.

Thank you for the reply. And you are right ya'll need to some more info.
I live in northwest GA and mostly fish the Tn river system in and around Chattanooga. During the summer I tend to head towards the River gorge instead of the lake proper, as it gets quite crowded and busy with jet skis and such. Something I have noticed is, without taking into account any wind, with my old TM if the dam is flowing more than 40k I couldn't hold position let alone head up stream any. Generally the dam flows between 15-55k, if its more than 55k I will not want to be on the water anyway

As far as species, well I'll fish for anything I can get to bite! Primarily I start out fishing for bass, working the banks. But when that goes south, and it normally does I'm not above setting up for catfish.

On the subject of my depth finder issues, I mounted the new transducer in the place of the old one where it hangs down just below the bottom of the hull. I have heard you can mount the transducer inside the hull by epoxying it to the hull, I don't know if that would be any better or not. but I suppose Im getting ahead of myself with that one.

I bit the bullet and decided not to replace older trollers steering cable and will be installing 24v 80 lb thrust with i pilot on the 14 ft.. Should not be under powered or tired of foot control only.
With planning rebuild in stages boat can still be used for most of them.
Bearings and bunks would top my list.Followed by motor then wiring, including for new troller Proper condition wiring and motors get us where we want to go as long as hull and transom are sound.Just break it down into manageable pieces of work and or expense and prioritize by YOUR choosing of importance.
Good fishing to ya.

I'm starting out on a similar (84 TX-17) project myself. I'm going to be stripping it down to the glorified jon-boat that it is, totally rehashing the trailer, and modernizing where appropriate with a little 80's flavor retained.

As for your trolling motor, a 12V does just fine on a smaller Tracker. My old Pro 17 had a 12v Motorguide 743 on it, and you could damned near pull a skier behind it in 4 and 5. I never used 3 except when scooting across a cove to chase a shad boil, and only used 2 to fight the wind.

Your transducer is going to be an issue - in-hull mounting (epoxy) doesn't work on aluminum boats, and transom mounting doesn't work so hot over about 25-30 MPH. The turbulence around the transducer is gonna kill your signal. There are through-hull transducers, where you punch a hole through the hull and it fits with a bulkhead type connection.

Not being able to hold position in water you "used" to be able to is a sign your TM battery is getting old, or maybe the charger is not working properly, or the TM is truly on its last legs. Or possibly you've kept adding more gear to the boat and you're past the point of no return now. :LOL2:

Below is my tracker in its current state. I had removed the old trolling motor sometime shortly after it died. As ya'll can see the boat needs a lot of work.

Did you ever get anything started on this? I just bought a 1980 Bass Tracker lll.....

Latest posts