How to mount trolling motor on bow of 12' Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack in N.C.

Reaction score
Ok...had this Jon for 3 years and I either run a gas motor or electric on the stern. Now I want to sometimes use a gas motor and also a trolling motor on the bow but do I need a bracket to mount on the bow? I guess I could just clamp it on but any suggestion on a plate or mount??? trolling motor is a transom mount but it should clamp on the front but the angle of the front may hinder it??? posted a picture and a video so you can see the boat. thanks for any suggestions. Mack

also mount on the front should be sturdy as boat moves pretty good with gas motor. thanks again for any suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXzNgGnDD94

Attachments

• DSCF1582.JPG
    DSCF1582.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 928
I took my transom mount trolling motor and reversed the handle to use on the bow and just clamp it over the bow with a block of wood. I have run my boat like this for a few years and It works fine

I think there is a single machine screw attaching the head to the shaft. Take it out, turn the head 180° and replace the screw. A block of wood is fine. I bolted a block to the bow to be sure it was secure. The trouble I found was that when I used the TM on the bow there was so much weight forward the boat tended to tip up and was a little squirrelly. I think you'll want to get an extension handle to keep your boat a little better balanced.

2 the first 2 posters - was the wood block put on the outside or inside..????

to the last poster - is that made out of aluminum and how thick is the metal and how tall is the front of it??? oh and how much did it cost.???

thanks for the replies

The block I used was attached to the structural piece that was at the front of the boat. Whatever it's called was about 3" wide and I made a block of the PVC material I had used elsewhere in the boat and clamped the TM to it. To tell the truth, the whole affair didn't work all that well. Having the TM on the bow may have made me think I looked like one of the players out on the lake but even that was iffy. The beauty of the bow mounted TM is that it is controlled by the operator from virtually anywhere in the boat. Putting a transom mounted motor on the bow means in order to operate it you have to be sitting all the way in the front and even with an extension handle it just too much weight up there. With just me in the boat trying to operate the TM the stern came up pretty high and it was just plain hard to control. Unless you have a really compelling reason to put your transom mount motor in front, I don't really think it's worth the trouble.

Used wood, too. I ended up using bolts to clamp the wood to the rail as I don't need further holes in this boat.
The clamp method is an option and could be done much better than this...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts