The new guy with a new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKFF

Reaction score
Well - like most, it seems, I've been watching Tinboats for a while, and am just getting around to posting. First - thanks to all you guys for all the posts that have already helped. Last week I found what I feel is a pretty good deal on a 1984 Lund S-18.
20140519_164826-1 - Copy.jpg
The previous owner hadn't been able to use the boat, so it's been sitting for somewhere between 8 & 10 years. Looked pretty ugly, especially the trailer.
20140519_170948 - Copy.jpg
So I replaced the trailer tires & rewired the lights & replaced bulbs, greased bearings & brought it home. The boat was about 3 hours away from home, so was a bit of a haul, but it trailered well even just on the bumper hitch. I'll get a real hitch installed before I do a whole lot of towing.
The boat came with a 1976 Volvo Penta 350 35 horse outboard. After cleaning the tank out and filling with some quality premix it fired up on the fourth pull - not bad after sitting year after year, and that was without even putting new plugs in and cleaning the carb. I've now put fresh plugs in it and it runs like a top - starts first (easy) pull every time. I also have a '75 40 horse Evinrude I picked up cheap because it was stuck in forward gear. I screwed the linkage back down tight & expect to be able to get it running before long, so at some point I'll get to do some comparison between the Volvo 35 & the Evinrude 40 & see how much difference there is between the two and which one I like better. The max HP rating for the boat is 55.
I've done some cleaning on the boat, and it's not looking bad, all the wood is in pretty good condition for its age, and there was only one smallish dent in the bottom that I was able to press out to some degree, you'd hardly know it's there now unless you were looking for it.
20140522_224708-1.jpg
20140524_120014-1.jpg
20140526_161221.jpg
I've cleaned the boat up some, inside & out, but the trailer was still a rusty wreck. I was able to hoist the boat for a while & work the trailer over to some degree. It's no beauty, and never will be, but getting a lot of the rust off helps, and a couple more fresh coats of paint will even more.
20140526_225905.jpg
20140527_002631.jpg
20140527_015929.jpg
We ran out of paint (due in-part to clogged & broken spray nozzles) so the trailer's not done, but looks better even so.
We're a family of five, so I won't be decking it, except possibly walk-through on the second to back bench, and maybe a low level decking from the back bench to the third bench. I've been thinking I'd like to do some smaller modifications. Probably some under-seat storage at some point and possibly move the fuel tank(s) forward. I'm looking for ideas on anchor storage, as I hate it (and its rope) just laying in the floor making a mess. I'd like to get a little 5 or 10 horse for trolling, and rod holders and downriggers. Also, of course a fish finder (I'm liking the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI).
One of the first orders of business (after a float test I haven't been able to find time for yet) is a family camping trip to an island we've been to before with friends. We'll be using the boat for some salmon fishing on the Kenai River later in the summer, and also possibly for some dip-netting for salmon (for those unfamiliar, it's literally exactly how it sounds, lowering a 5' net into the river, for AK residents to fill their freezers with some unbelievable Red Salmon.) Also, we're looking forward to getting it into some salt water for salmon and halibut, possibly shrimp and whatever else we can hook!
I'll be updating the thread as time permits, and welcome feedback, ideas and thoughts.

Welcome to Tin Boats!

Looks like you have a decent start to this project. Figure that 35hp should move that boat along pretty nicely.

Thanks Keystone. :)

Got the trailer paint finished tonight, or at least as finished as it will get in the foreseeable future. I used Rustoleum satin "kills rust" enamel in white. I had used that the first go-round a few days ago but didn't get finished, and was really impressed with how rain water beaded & rolle d off it. Also got the AK # & decals on the boat.

20140529_215659-1.jpg

Got a call from an old friend who's in town & has run into some bad luck hunting black bears the past few days. So, I told him, being the great guy I am, I'd come down after work tomorrow & we could take the boat on her maiden voyage & see if we couldn't run into a bear or two from the water. So I get to get her wet and also do some camping and have the possibility of bringing home some bear meat...not to mention a photo-op, so hope to have more pictures to post by Monday. =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354112#p354112 said:
AKFF » 30 May 2014, 03:43[/url]"] So I get to get her wet and also do some camping and have the possibility of bringing home some bear meat...not to mention a photo-op, so hope to have more pictures to post by Monday. =D>

Awesome!! Good luck and safe travels! I will be in the back country for 5 days the end of next week myself!

Nice acquisition! Nice size, great brand name, decent width, very nice shape for its years, suitable for most of your water there, phenomenal that the motor worked so well after sitting, AND for the maiden voyage, you got somebody to come along to help bail, call for help, and spot the carnivores who just sit and wait for first-boat outings! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, seems like a great purchase and a fine, utilitarian craft.

Be safe, have fun.

Got out for the first time this past weekend, the boat did well. The motor had a few issues, but nothing too serious - it never left us stranded, but died a few times, leaving me pulling the cord more than I'd have liked. It died many times before I realized the roll-pin had come out of the choke linkage, thus the choke had a mind of its own. Once I had that put back together, it also died several times when shifting into gear if I didn't put some throttle to it pretty quick. Guessing I may need to set the idle a bit higher, but may ask the question in the motors section.
No bears, but some decent fishing and pretty good time camping, although we got rained on in bucket-loads (I have no idea if the boat's water-tight as it never stopped raining long enough to dry the bottom out. Top speed was 28MPH on GPS with just me in it, and 18 with almost 1000lbs of guys & gear. All-in-all had a great time. =D>

20140530_214238.jpg
20140530_230949.jpg
20140531_135444.jpg
20140531_114840.jpg
20140531_123634.jpg
20140531_202027.jpg

Latest posts