1552 ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyrulz

Reaction score
Who's got a 1552 hull?

What motor are you running?

How fast?

How is yours laid out?

Any other info about pros/cons appreciated, I am considering buying a bare hull to modify. If I get one, the plan will be tiller steer & open floor plan for duck hunting

My friends boat is a 1652. He runs a 40/25 jet pump. By GPS it goes 22 upstream and 25 down with 2 men and gear. It is a very stable boat. He kept it simple with seats on the benches to maintain lots of room for decoys, dog, guns. The area behind the rear seat is full of gas and oil tanks, batteries.

thanks for the numbers & details He Reigns, any idea how that boat rides solo? i would think gas, batteries, & 40hp on the transom might porpoise or bounce a lot without some weight on the front of the boat, but maybe jets don't do that?

i've been in a 1652 xpress side console, definitely a stable boat. 40 mercury (no jet) pushes it about 35mph

if i do get a 1552, it will likely be custom order, looking for some real world feedback on 1552 tiller setups...what y'all like, what you don't like, what works, & what doesn't...so i can figure out what i want for myself.

anyone with opinions on rear bench versus split rear bench for driver seating on a tiller steer? I can't see any good reason to have a split rear bench

I should have said battery in the back, his trolling motor battery is in the front. He does have a little "lip" (1 1/4 aluminum angle iron) mounted on the back that is hammer adjustable. Not sure its needed as he does not porpoise. It runs fine with one person. I don't have speeds though.

My 1652 tunnel jet with center console and it porpoises with just me in the boat. I added transom wedges and extra weight up front to get rid of the porpoising. What brand are you looking at in a 1552?

haven't picked one yet, whoever's cheapest lol

had my eye on weldbuilt, never priced alweld, but assume they're more expensive?

Moving weight and gear around; adding an extendable tiller handle;... Both can help with porpoising.

If those two items don't work, then consider Smart Tabs...or the similar new tabs from Bennett. Rich

Smart tabs.
https://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs_automatic_trim_tabs.htm

Bennett tabs.
https://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=274&techID=9

good tips, typically mounting the battery toward the front of the boat is enough to stop porpoising, that, or lowering the motor height (if possible)

for a fee, pretty much everything is an option with weldbuilt, tread plate floor, seat bases, live well, storage boxes, low front deck, extended front deck, gun box, tunnel hull, float pods, etc...obviously, I wanna leave some of the modifications to do myself, but I haven't quite figured out what I want to use as a starting point... I plan to order .080 to save weight but you can also get .100 gauge

here's 2 pictures of the weldbuilt 1552, one with split rear bench & one with standard rear bench:

jonboat1552v01263big.jpg

1552v23864big.jpg

here's a couple 1652s that show the storage & drop deck options:

jonboat1652v01262big.jpg

1652duckboatpodsstoragebig.jpg

If I had the option again I would get the split bench.

With my boat I have to straddle the back bench to make use of the tiller handle for it to feel right. You wouldn't have to do that with the split bech. Split beach has storage as well. Looks like with the split bench the back seat might be close enough to steer the boat from it.

thanks doc!

I was leaning more towards the full bench, but having it custom order to open for storage like the hatches pictured above. Then again, I can now see how it might be better to have the split bench setup...typically, the benches in jon boats have me seated slightly more forward than ideal for comfort, plus I'm kinda turned left anyways with the middle of the bench in the way of my legs...prolly be easier to clean pluff mud & marsh grass from a split bench too...hmmm

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355243#p355243 said:
hotshotinn » Yesterday, 20:07[/url]"]Why a 1552 over a 1652 ?
mostly trivial stuff & personal preference, here's all the reasons I can think of:

less money

less weight (more speed, shallower draft, easier to move trailer in the driveway, easier to move if run aground or tide goes out)

less length (easier hide in the duck blind, more maneuverable on the trailer)

15' & below are exempt from certain regulations in certain states, namely Arkansas doesn't require a throwable on vessels under 16' (page 51 here https://www.boat-ed.com/assets/pdf/handbook/ar_handbook_entire.pdf)

lastly, everyone's got a 1652, but when's the last time you saw a 1552?

I have a 2001 1650 Alumacraft MV TEX Special CS. It has a 2000 50hp Johnson and runs 35mph all day no matter how much weight I add. I had 2 other guys in it that weighed 200lbs and I'm about 160 and nothing changed. Still 35mph. If your not holding on and it'll throw you out the back when taken off from a dead stop to WOT. It's plenty sturdy and handles rough water ok. It has a little rise and isn't completely flat on the bottom but is a Mod V so it gives a dry ride. Only about a half inch of hull is in the water when on plain and from the cavitation plate down on the lower unit so it runs pretty shallow. Love the boat and the only thing I can complain about is I don't have a rod locker but never leave it out anywhere to need one. Garage kept, clean, and dry.

thanks for the details jonboatboy

I'm not going to have a side console or carpet in my rig as it will be purpose built for duck hunting, but your boat is really laid out nicely for fishing though!

I want maximum floor space & minimum weight, I've actually been leaning back toward a 1448. because of it's low weight, my ole little 1436 was so nice to move around the driveway & generally a lot less hassle to use than for example my buddy's 1652 xpress 40 mercury side console...a lot easier to hide from the ducks too... like any 1436 though, it's kinda sketchy moving around with 2 guys wearing waders, a dog, & a sack full of decoys, in open water in the middle of winter, with help miles & miles away

there's a few spots we like to hunt that involve going across a bay which gets pretty rough sometimes, & the more length the merrier when you're in those conditions, the more you think about it, the more you realize you need multiple boats! lol

i have a 1648mv weldbilt with the split rear bencfhes, 30 hp efi tohatsu, ptt tiller. rear storage. extension on the front decfk. 29 mph, 26 with 3 guys. 100 gage hull. i would go with the widest model, and heaviest gage. be cfareful where u placfe ur seat bases. any questions ask away

thanks hip, got any pictures? It would be great to see what the controls on the tiller look like & as many pictures of the hull as you'll offer. I've never seen these weldbilts in person, I'd love to see the side view & front view to get an idea of the shape of their V hulls, and I'd also like to see the inside of how your hull is laid out with the deck the split bench

what's the deal with seat base placement?

how do you like the tohatsu motor? is yours a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke?

I love my 30 hHP EFI Tohatsu w/ PT&T. comes with a 5 year warranty too.

Latest posts