Rubber mat in between ribs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattais33

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get this stuff and what it is called. It looks like some guys are running some sort of rubber mat like anti fatigue matting in between the ribs and I am really interested in that opposed to decking the whole floor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Check home depot or lowes for rubber mats, or even welcome mats might work if the right material. Will probably be a bit heavy but it needs to be so it won't blow when towing or going down the water.

Good idea. I actually was thinking of gluing them down just a bit to keep them in. Would have to be about 1" thick to accomplish what I am trying to do so not sure if the big boxes will have that. good idea though will check It out.

See the below boat that I found on this site that I now cannot find or I would ask him. Anyone know the attached pics owners handle?

Thanks

Attachments

• vhull1.jpg
    vhull1.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 2,250
I used something similar I believe it was called a horse stall mat. It is 3/8 inches thick & is very comfortable under foot. I is black in color & has pieces of rope/webbing in it for strength & durability. I don't think it will ever wear out, at least not in my lifetime. It is also slip resistant even when covered in water & fish slime. It came on a giant role & I had it cut to size for a perfect fit. I bought it at Tractor Supply but most farm supply/equipment stores will carry it. If such a store is not in your area check out places that carry things for tractor trailers, surprisingly enough a lot of companies/truckers use this stuff to line the floor of their trailers. It comes in a variety of thicknesses.

Well worth it in my opinion. Makes the boat super quiet & it's comfortable under foot. Plus it makes the boat a little bit warmer for those late fall through early spring fishing trips. The only drawbacks are it's weight & it can get hot ( I've only noticed it when the temp outside is over 105 degrees Fahrenheit ) but not as hot as the bare aluminum. I fish bare foot a lot so If it gets too hot I just remove it & wear tennis shoes during those 100+ degrees Texas summers ( thankfully it's not that hot this year, last summer was brutal ). Also it's removable for easy cleaning, & its slip resistant.

What was the cost like? Wouldn't mind something like that in mine, but would take a bit of material to do the 18'. Don't have TS here, maybe Farm & Feed or similar...not sure, never been much in tractors or farm markets.

When I bought mine ( about a year and a half ago ) I paid about $7.25 per linear foot the 3/8 inch thick. The 1/4 inch thick was around a dollar cheaper but it was sold out at the time & it would have been another week before it got in so I got the 3/8. I have it in a 14ft v hull with a 4hp motor & I have never really noticed a difference in speed with or without the mat. If weight is a concern I think the 1/4 would work just as well. It is a little pricy but I don't think I'll ever have to replace it.

Just check TS site.

Width : 4 ft. | Product Length : 6 ft. | Product Thickness : 3/4 in
$39.99

They also have rolls sold by LF.
1/4" is $5.79 LF at 4 ft roll width
3/8" is $7.79 LF at 4 ft roll width

I am thinking of running the purple Board insulation from HD under the mat. My ribs are right at 1" tall so I will have to do whatever works. The 4'x6' piece of 3/4" is 100 pounds according to the website. I am gonna go check it our tomorrow and will give an update then. I am thinking I like the way this is going to work, somewhat temporary, easy to clean, tough material and easy to replace and clean.

So in my line of work we sometimes do projects where we use WallGuard which is basically a vinyl wall protection material that comes in various widths starting at .040. It is extremely strong but it is very flexible, light and easy to clean and very waterproof. I was wondering what this would be like over either foam board or the stall mat. Would be a good alternative to the black of the stall mat. I may do some testing with some scrap I have laying around.

Thoughts?

Details to follow tomorrow.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356386#p356386 said:
Mattais33 » 19 Jun 2014, 21:53[/url]"]Good idea. I actually was thinking of gluing them down just a bit to keep them in. Would have to be about 1" thick to accomplish what I am trying to do so not sure if the big boxes will have that. good idea though will check It out.

See the below boat that I found on this site that I now cannot find or I would ask him. Anyone know the attached pics owners handle?

Thanks

Hi
I'm the owner of this boat :)

I got the mats at Canadian Tire..... in Canada....I'm Canadian
You would probably find this stuff at a farm supply store or at a place that sells industrial supplies.

If you haven't found them yet...good luck.

My 1648 Lowe had a big rubberized mat when I bought it.

The previous owner said it stunk all of the time. He was right. I dumped it a day after I brought the boat home.

May have just been that type of mat.
richg99

I bought an anti fatigue mat from Sears for $27. It weighs next to nothing and was pretty big with diamond plate design (can't remember the exact size but I had almost half left over on my 12ft jon) only downside is it has to be removed when transporting the boat because it would fly out...

Simlar question came up awhile back. You might search forum for the horse stall mats to find the thread. Someone who posted was very happy with Bedrug.

my boat has a few pieces of rubber door mat that I cut up under the battery box, fuel tank, and lined the area under the rear hatch. I also have a old conveyor belt that is in the front storage area.

I thought about putting in the horse stall mats, but they were very heavy. I opted to the mats with the quarter sized holes in it. I just got mine off amazon and it was fairly cheap, and was lighter than the horse stall mats. I also was afraid of water sticking underneath the mats and not drying. I've had good luck with my quarter sized hole rubber mats thus far.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=362773#p362773 said:
Dkyle47 » 08 Aug 2014, 23:32[/url]"]I bought an anti fatigue mat from Sears for $27. It weighs next to nothing and was pretty big with diamond plate design (can't remember the exact size but I had almost half left over on my 12ft jon) only downside is it has to be removed when transporting the boat because it would fly out...

I have something similar from Academy...for exercise equipment, they also sell it for flooring a tent. I taped them together and can drive up to 60MPH without them flying out.

P1000441_zpsd31c54c4.jpg

There is a company called SeaDek Marine Products that make very cool mats for boats. They even have camo which is cool. Of course it's expensive, but it's made for boats and has a self stick back so you can just stick it down. I plan to get some for the bench seats of my SeaArk. https://www.seadek.com
camo.jpg

I used "anti-fatigue" floor mats from Lowes. It's expensive though, $22 per section. I could do two rib sections per mat in my boat.

Attachments

• DSCF2226.JPG
    DSCF2226.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,108
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=362747#p362747 said:
richg99 » 08 Aug 2014, 19:46[/url]"]My 1648 Lowe had a big rubberized mat when I bought it.

The previous owner said it stunk all of the time. He was right. I dumped it a day after I brought the boat home.

May have just been that type of mat.
richg99

perhaps it had actually been used in a horse stall prior to landing in the boat

Latest posts