$150 yard sale find!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westsloper

Reaction score
I found this boat (14' Lone Star Big Fisherman), motor (1978 Murcury 110), and trailer at a yard sale the other day. The lady just wanted it gone, I felt bad for only giving her $150 for it! I dropped the motor off to get over hauled and the steering arm bracket replaced (it was broke). Besides the steering arm bracket the motor looked brand new. The boat and motor had been sitting in her late husbands garage since he died 5 years ago. She said that before that it sat there for maybe 10 years. He was going to fix it up and didn't get any further then painting it. I plan on putting a floor in it and possibly a front and rear deck. I filled it with water to check for leaks and the bottom was bone dry. The trailer need some work, bearings, wiring, lights, and paint. All in all its a pretty sweet little boat.

Attachments

• 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman.JPG
    14' Lone Star Big Fisherman.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,289
"I felt bad for only giving her $150 for it!" Yah right. :roll: Boat and trailer look nice, good find, you get titles and boat certificate too?

I was at a garage sale 2 years ago and a trolling motor was there. I looked at it briefly, woman said $10, I said Does it work? She said she did not know. I said I don't need a trolling motor that does not work. She said, Just take it. "I felt bad just taking it for nothing" :roll:

LOL
Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356498#p356498 said:
WaterWaif » 35 minutes ago[/url]"]If you get it on the water ,toast the previous owner. Great find!

...and maybe take his wife for a ride. It's also a lesson to not put things off. Her late husband never finished it so you'll have to do it for him. Good luck with the project.

Doesn't get much better than that. Guess I need to start garage selling.

WOW. Sure beat the day light out of my $150 score. A 12' beat up tin and a 3.5 hp Gamefisher motor that didn't work. No trailer.
Great catch you got there buddy.

When you get that thing on the water and catch some tasty fish, clean a meal or twos worth and drop them off for the nice lady that sold you the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356527#p356527 said:
bgeddes » 20 Jun 2014, 23:08[/url]"]When you get that thing on the water and catch some tasty fish, clean a meal or twos worth and drop them off for the nice lady that sold you the boat.

Agree, I'm sure that small gesture would be greatly appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403379605.407645.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403379619.490897.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403379629.840484.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403379640.457219.jpg

Keeping it simple, here's what I've done so far. I'm going to skip putting a full floor in it for now. I would like to put something down to dampin the noise. Any suggestions?

And I was planning on keeping her in supply with all the fish she can eat! I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride in it when I was done fixing it and she said "In 53 years of marriage my husband never got me on a boat, so I don't think you going to either!"

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356577#p356577 said:
westsloper » Today, 14:46[/url]"]
Keeping it simple, here's what I've done so far. I'm going to skip putting a full floor in it for now. I would like to put something down to dampin the noise. Any suggestions?

And I was planning on keeping her in supply with all the fish she can eat! I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride in it when I was done fixing it and she said "In 53 years of marriage my husband never got me on a boat, so I don't think you going to either!"

That's funny. I guess it's important to know where you stand

westloper,

I don't know whether to congratulate you on your find OR have pity on you for 3 pre-teen GIRLS, what with SOONER THAN YOU THINK: BFs, prom dresses, cheerleading practice, softball, EXPENSIVE purses, 3 coeds in college, etc., etc., etc., as "A son is yours till he meets his wife BUT a daughter is yours for all of your LIFE".
(I know all about that. = CHUCKLE.)

That said, CONGRADS on the "new to you" boat/trailer/OB. = ENJOY.

yours, satx

westsloper,

You're welcome. = CHUCKLE.

Btw, at 67YY, I thought that I would have some time for myself BUT now instead of "honey does", I have "Daddy does". - Fixing the problems of adult daughters tend to be quite a bit more complicated than "kissing skinned knees" & "learning to coach softball".
(For example, when "Noe", who is a faculty member at UT, decided to go to Rice to do her PhD in math, can you guess who got to "see about" her condo in Austin? = a 206 mile round-trip.)

yours, satx

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356577#p356577 said:
westsloper » 21 Jun 2014, 15:46
...I would like to put something down to dampin the noise. Any suggestions?...

If you use foam insulation board from one of the big-box home improvement places make sure you use the "extruded polystyrene" type and not any of the litany of other types they offer. It's a closed cell foam that will resist absorbing water - just be careful not to spill gasoline on it as it will dissolve it almost instantly.

westsloper,

"On the water102" has a GOOD point. - To prevent that happening, a coat of latex "porch & deck paint" will keep fuel spillage from dissolving your closed-cell foam.

yours, satx

Latest posts