I've about had it up to here....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucket69

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that if you are going to have a gas motor you better use it more frequent than I do, or plan on working on the SOB every time you want to take it out.

I have had different boats/motors over the years and have had hit or miss luck with just about all of them. Last spring I decided I wasn't using my side console tin boat enough and sold it. All last summer I found myself saying "today would be a good day to go fishing". So I convinced myself that the reason I didn't use it was I had to mess with it to make sure it would run each time I wanted to take it out. So I figured this time I'd find a wide jon and just use trolling motors. I found a nice 14'er that had a 1989 9.9 Erinrude for only a couple hundered morethan I had seen them without. I started it before I bought it and it Purrrrrs. It ended up sitting for a few weeks before I got to put it in the water, and lo and behold, I get out there and it won't start. Fouled the plugs, and of course, I didn't have my repair kit. So I used the trolling motor and said to hell with the gasser.

I am seriously considering selling the 9.9 and getting a couple more batteries and a bigger trolling motor. My problem is that one of my favorite fishing holes is almost 3 miles from the dock. What do you all think...will I hate taking the time it will take to go that far with electric?

Going that far with electric is possible but being able to troll while fishing and make the return trip is unlikely. Unless you have a battery bank of at least four size 27 marine deep cycle batteries.

My suggestion is to find a 4 stroke model outboard in your price range.

They are easy on gas and easy to start.

In addition, your not weighing down your boat with batteries. Plus the fast ride on a hot day is refreshing! :D

That's my two cents!

+1

Clean and rebuild carbs on the 9.9, replace fuel lines (they are probably ate up from ethanol), filters, and clean the pump. The linings inside the lines will break up and clog filters and fuel pumps. Treat your gas, if you don't use it within 30-45 days dump it in the truck and start with fresh. If it still doesn't run good sell it and use it to offset the cost of a new 4-stroke.

A properly running 2 cycle should start on first or second pull, especially when it is still hot. Verify you are using correct starting procedure. Verify you have good spark. Take that carb off and clean it, use a tiny wire to insure all passages are clean, blow it out with air, insure float is adjusted right, bowl is clean. Verify fuel lines are clean. Fuel pump is working right. Fuel will not go bad in 2-3 weeks.
Always carry basic tools with you.
regular and phillips screwdriver
regular and needlenose pliers
wire cutters / strippers
small crescent wrench
cable ties
electrical tape
extra spark plugs
tool to get spark plugs out
spare fuses
spare cotter pins (for prop)
cheap VOM
spare cord for pull start (doubles for using on flywheel)
spare bilge plug

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357891#p357891 said:
earl60446 » 01 Jul 2014, 13:59[/url]"]A properly running 2 cycle should start on first or second pull, especially when it is still hot. Verify you are using correct starting procedure. Verify you have good spark. Take that carb off and clean it, use a tiny wire to insure all passages are clean, blow it out with air, insure float is adjusted right, bowl is clean. Verify fuel lines are clean. Fuel pump is working right. Fuel will not go bad in 2-3 weeks.
wire cutters / strippers
small crescent wrench
cable ties
electrical tape
extra spark plugs
spare fuses
cheap VOM
spare bilge plug

And this is what I'm tired of...I don't want to have to carry all this crap, and potentially have to work on it before I get to enjoy it. This motor was completely gone over in February by a reputatable mechanic, but it still is a crap shoot if they are going to start after the sit for a month. The funny thing is, I have had a lot of 2 stroke toys, and the outboards are the only ones that have given me heartburn. When I was using them once a week or so, I didn't have any trouble, let them sit for a month or so and all bets are off. Maybe I just need to get in the habit of putting the muffs on every week or so and warm it up.

Sorry guys, I'm not really trying to find a solution for the gas motor as much as I am just venting a bit and wondering what it would take to go all electric, and if it would be worth it.

Ethanol gas is troublesome too, especially on the older motors, mainly it will deteriorate the plastic and rubber components that are not alcohol tolerant. Electric motors aren’t without their share of troubles too, I can’t seem to make a battery last more than a year and they are expensive too. The best bet is to accept the fact that owning a boat is costly or give it up and fins a buddy that has a boat and hitch a ride on his. :lol:

Are you running the gas out of the carb before storing it? When in storage do you run the motor about every three weeks? That may be your biggest problems.

Also adding stabil to the gas will help.

Running fuel stabilizer, one that also fights ethanol helps. Its a pain to find non ethanol fuel but some places have it.
I like having gas and electric. Belt and suspenders mentality I guess. Fresh fuel always seems to help too.. I run left over fuel in the riding mower,adding it at half a tank or more of the riders tank. I,m knocking on wood but have had a good run with two strokes. Fresh plugs most years.

Pretty good advice so far.... But... Don't put unused oil-mixed fuel back into your vehicle. Might run just fine, but it has a chance of messing up your catalytic converter.

Never had any trouble out of my 9.9 Mercury. Guy I bought it from used to say from day one that it was at most a two pull to start engine. Usually half a pull got it fired off.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357920#p357920 said:
richg99 » 01 Jul 2014, 16:02[/url]"]Pretty good advice so far.... But... Don't put unused oil-mixed fuel back into your vehicle. Might run just fine, but it has a chance of messing up your catalytic converter.

Should have thought about that, I don't run premix so no problem with running it in my work car.

I've had both electric start and pull start engines. All 2 cycles. I much prefer the electric start. Seems that the extra speed and torque starts better for me.

I did just sell a 9.9 hp Nissan Tohatsu pullstart that almost always starred on a half pull, though.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357878#p357878 said:
Bucket69 » 01 Jul 2014, 13:10[/url]"]... My problem is that one of my favorite fishing holes is almost 3 miles from the dock. What do you all think...will I hate taking the time it will take to go that far with electric?

Speaking from experience - absolutely.

I had a 12' sea nymph v-hull and my favorite spots to fish are about a mile and a half up or down stream of my house and on the trolling motor it was a 20~25 minute ride either way - motor was tired by the time I got back but it'd get me home - never pushed it 3 miles one way.

Starting a 2 stroke is all about how you go about it. You want to avoid flooding it at all cost. My procedure when cold, is open the breather on the tank, squeeze the bulb till it's firm no more ,then full choke with the throttle open about one quarter until you get the slightest pop,(it's very important to not pull it anymore on full choke after it pops as this is when most flood there engines) then half choke till it fires, let it run on half choke for 30 seconds or so and then open the choke and clear the motor letting it warm up for a minutes or two. If it fails to fire on half choke open the choke and pull a few more times before you go back to full choke. When warm usually just pull it with the throttle cracked slightly and it will fire. The one thing not to do is keep choking it when it fails to fire. Pull it over a least a half a dozen more times with the throttle 3/4 to full open and choke open because it probably already has to much fuel in it and if you must choke it only for one or two pulls. Once you get the plugs wet they won't fire until they dry out. One way to dry them is hold the throttle full open with the choke open and pull till it fires, it will help to unhook the fuel line while your doing this to avoid anymore fuel going into the motor, you can also pull the plugs to dry them spinning the motor a few times with the plugs out to clear any unburned fuel, (be careful when doing this, keep the plugs and wires away from a ground that will cause a spark and possibly a fire, it's happened to me!) if you put the plugs back in a wet cylinder they'll just get wet again.
This procedure has worked for me on chain saws, trimmers or anything with a 2 stroke motor. I seldom have any trouble starting any 2 stroke. If you have to choke a motor for an extended period of time, more than 3 or 4 pulls something is wrong with the fuel delivery system.

I hate 2 strokes for how finicky they are too - but unfortunately they give you the most bang for the least weight. My mariner is tuned well, and I use it frequently which helps, but I still disconnect the gas while it's running every time to try & avoid gas sitting in the carb as best I can. Takes a bit more choke to get it going but at least it lasts longer between rebuilds.

Otherwise pony up the $$$ and buy a 4 stroke...for my small boat I can't justify either the cost or the weight. Now - if I happen to come by one for free (needing some TLC) as I did a 80# 24v Maxxum Pro trolling motor recently...all bets are off.

Spend the time and/or $$ to get the gasser running good, then maintain it, and it should work everytime for you with little to no issues or hassle. I've got an 04 60 2s that I bought new, and it can be cold blooded at times, but it is electric start. The ONLY time it did not start on the water was when the battery fried itself at the ramp. :x . It runs well, but I do have to do minor stuff to keep it running good. It might sit for a couple weeks before I use it but I use seafoam and stabil in the gas.

I've got a 5hp 4s and its cold blooded but I had the carb adjusted under warranty, and it now starts in less than 5 pulls cold, so I'm happy. I use stabil and seafoam in this one as well.

Use seafoam and stabil in your gas, and try and use FRESH gas if you let the boat/motor set unused for a extended periods. If you can, get a 9.9 electric start 4s, then you can run the carbs dry at the ramp when loading up which helps avoid the varnish/gumming up of the carbs, but still use seafoam and stabil in the gas to help.

Thanks for the comments. I do use Startron in all my toys. Like I said, I'm not new to the 2 stroke's or their "quirks", I just tend to get a little fed up with some of it. Although of all my 4 wheelers, saws, mowers and such that have been 2 smokes, they have given me the least trouble (with the exception on the outboards) I guess I need to either get rid of it, or quit bitching and take the time to fire it up every now and then to make sure it is fresh. Or heaven forbid...take it fishing more often. :shock:

As for the electric....it doesn't sound like that is a very good option for what I want to do.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357920#p357920 said:
richg99 » Yesterday, 14:02[/url]"]Pretty good advice so far.... But... Don't put unused oil-mixed fuel back into your vehicle. Might run just fine, but it has a chance of messing up your catalytic converter.
The oil in the gas is so diluted that it is not going to bother your CC, besides that thing gets red hot and any contaminates will be turned to ash in no time.

My 4 stroke is not an easy starter when it is cold. I usually have to pull it 5 or 6 times and then it will stall and I have to pull it some more, once it has been started and run for a few minutes though it is fine for the rest of the day or the next couple of days if I am using it for more than one day in a row. It is a new 20 hp Yamaha.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357892#p357892 said:
Bucket69 » Yesterday, 12:17[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357891#p357891 said:
earl60446 » 01 Jul 2014, 13:59[/url]"]A properly running 2 cycle should start on first or second pull, especially when it is still hot. Verify you are using correct starting procedure. Verify you have good spark. Take that carb off and clean it, use a tiny wire to insure all passages are clean, blow it out with air, insure float is adjusted right, bowl is clean. Verify fuel lines are clean. Fuel pump is working right. Fuel will not go bad in 2-3 weeks.
wire cutters / strippers
small crescent wrench
cable ties
electrical tape
extra spark plugs
spare fuses
cheap VOM
spare bilge plug

And this is what I'm tired of...I don't want to have to carry all this crap, and potentially have to work on it before I get to enjoy it. This motor was completely gone over in February by a reputatable mechanic, but it still is a crap shoot if they are going to start after the sit for a month. The funny thing is, I have had a lot of 2 stroke toys, and the outboards are the only ones that have given me heartburn. When I was using them once a week or so, I didn't have any trouble, let them sit for a month or so and all bets are off. Maybe I just need to get in the habit of putting the muffs on every week or so and warm it up.

Sorry guys, I'm not really trying to find a solution for the gas motor as much as I am just venting a bit and wondering what it would take to go all electric, and if it would be worth it.

I personally would not go fishing without my tools as listed, BTW all those tools fit in a 5"x4"x10" pouch for me except the $4 VOM. They stay in my boat, after all I have to maintain the motor, boat, trailer and everything in it. But that is just me, I am a tool guy.
If my spare prop was not so hard to store, it would be on my boat too. Murphys law requires I keep those tools available.
Tim