Newbie with a salty question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnpreacher

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1980 Alumacraft F7, with a 15hp Evinrude. I have cleaned it up, added a padded floor, swivel seats, lights, and a rod holder (holds 4 rods). I will be adding rod holders (individual rod), moving the battery to the front and wiring the trolling motor at the transom. I want to use this boat for some limited salt fishing, in addition to lakes and rivers nearby.
Question...is there anything particular I need to do to run in the salt? I know about cleaning everything good afterwards, but is there anything I need to do prep wise?

I hope you don't mind if I throw my two-cents in? And just so you know, my opinion these days comes from experience with salty dogs here in Florida.

Here's the thing... salt and aluminum don't do well together. End of story.

I don't care how well you think you clean your boat off, salt and salt water will go places you can never rinse it out.

West Marine sells a product called Salt Away which when used can chemically neutralize the salt that it can get to and follow into places you can not rinse out. But even that is not a solution to salt on aluminum.

I recently scrapped a boat I really loved made by AlumaCraft because of salt water damage to the hull.

It was another one of those boats given to me I was thankful for until I spent hundreds of dollars on it only to find out I had wasted my money on it and then regretted ever taking the salty dog.

The boat suffered from years of salt water getting into places the previous owner could never rinse out, and he used pressure treated skids under the boat which also corroded the hull.

And these days it pisses me off to no end that aluminum boat manufacturers seem to always try and find a way to reduce the amount of metal in a boat as the hulls get thinner and thinner to the useless point.

So let me just say it before showing you some photos of what salt does to a boat that if you want to put your aluminum boat into salt water, then just beat the hell out of it and use it until you can use it no more. Sinking money into a salty dog is a waste of time in my opinion. Nothing can save the aluminum if that is what you choose to do with it. Beat it up and get another one and beat it up and get another one.

The boat I was given was a 1983 AlumaCraft T-14XL-20. Since it was free I decided to cut the transom down to fit my Yamaha 25 on it. I was not about to sell that motor and try and buy a long shaft for just this boat. No way. So I tore into the transom and this is what I found:

DSC02317_zpsf60486f3.jpg

DSC02318_zps01b2045b.jpg

Just look at all those white salt crystal around the drain holes for the transom tray drains! Leaked right into the wood. Was never sealed from the factory. So over 30 years, the salt water would leak inside and then dry out leaving behind accumulating salt crystals that ate up the super thin aluminum hull like it was in acid.
DSC02320_zpseb54f0f0.jpg

DSC02321_zpsd4735b21.jpg

DSC02322_zps705d5c86.jpg

Look how thick all that accumulated salt is! I measured some with a tape measure as thick as a 1/4 inch! And now we are looking at what was in between the wood and the hull where the majority of the salt was found:
DSC02323_zps7019e50a.jpg

The above image is the transom hull as soon as I pulled the wood away from it this is what was there. Ugly!
DSC02324_zps7081f917.jpg

DSC02355_zps95603ed8.jpg

If light can shine through the transom hull, then you know water was too- salt water that is. Now I know why the boat was free!
DSC02357_zpsd0b66794.jpg

DSC02361_zpsd684b57d.jpg

Do you think paint will save the hull from salt water corrosion? Did not help this boat.
DSC02362_zps02802f5f.jpg

DSC02364_zps27714043.jpg

This is what it looked like with the transom knee removed. More salt water corrosion rinsing will not help with. Salt stays!
DSC02366_zps4290ecb4.jpg

DSC02367_zps1b19988a.jpg

DSC02371_zpsdf4c42ab.jpg

DSC02373_zpsf39365f0.jpg

DSC02377_zps517bcde5.jpg

DSC02382_zps5bd25e44.jpg

DSC02389_zpsd51a39bc.jpg

I was going to leave those corner handles on, but had to take them off for the transom repair. Most salt underneath. More corrosion. Look at all those holes circled eaten right through the hull. The previous owner just shoved caulk in the holes as his solution.
DSC02391_zps266957c7.jpg

DSC02408_zps2ac83cfd.jpg

DSC02409_zps40707805.jpg

DSC02416_zpsb01291ed.jpg

Starting to see my point? Nothing you can do if you put that boat in salt. Just a matter of time. Beat it up and get another one...

DSC02444_zps0c1d3c43.jpg

DSC02446_zps7f6327f6.jpg

Cast aluminum eaten up! And in a place you think you can rinse!
DSC02675_zps76523da4.jpg

This is where the boat sat on skids. Salt water corrosion plus pressure treated wood chemicals too!

I could go on all night, but the evidence is clear. Salt is no good for aluminum. Salt gets in and stays. It is just a matter of time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I scrapped the entire boat for about $100.00 worth of aluminum.

The boat won’t last forever and the salt will take its toll but, you will get years of service out of it and the good news is that aluminum boats are relatively cheap. Make sure you do not use any steel fasteners anywhere, only aluminum and stainless steel. Do not use any pressure treated wood that has any form of copper treatment, the green stuff you get at the home center. A lot of times PT wood is used in the transom, if it is there then it will cause you problems eventually. The older PT wood has less copper but it still will react with the aluminum, just not as fast as the newer higher copper content stuff sold today.

If you put any wood in the boat be sure to seal it completely using a good quality varnish or better yet epoxy resin and paint. Always rinse the boat out thoroughly and try to keep it dry by putting a tarp over it when not using it. I had the same stuff on my boat as what you see above, I fixed mine but time will eventually get to it. My boat is 20 years old so that is not too bad. I think I can get another 20 out of her. Good luck and go catch the big one.

Here are more pictures and how I fixed it, https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23064

There is whole boating forums dedicated to bigger aluminum boats used only in salt water.
Sure, there may be a-little more maintenance but it won't dissolve under your feet.
I use mine 10 or more times a year in salt...more if there blues and strikers stay.
I no of 2 sister boats( lobster), that have been in use for 30 years or more...north atlantic year around.
Just another guys opinion...

I would like to fish salt marshes 2 or three times a year, if I can get an inroad into the Saint Simons, Ga area. I have a brother-in-law close that I'm hoping can hook me up with a few locals who can show me the area. I will probably go, fish a few days and clean everything well when I get home.

Can't take it with me, might as well enjoy it while I'm here!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358853#p358853 said:
fishnpreacher » 16 minutes ago[/url]"]

Can't take it with me, might as well enjoy it while I'm here!

That seems like a reasonable, healthy attitude. I'd love to be able to fish flats, etc. and wouldn't care if the boat eventually dissolved. Even getting 20 years out of one might be more that it would get out of me at this point.

The only flats around here are tires and the prairie...

Corrosion X everything you don't want corroded. Including the boat! I have steel flex on my bottom so I believe I am protected some from the bunks.

NICE WORK, CAGEY !!!

Your cautionary tale, with the great pictures, will at least allow folks to have a real sense of what can happen.

Maybe Mods might make your post a sticky?

Well done. Great contribution to the rest of us.

=D> =D> =D>

Thanks, but if you would let me, I could do a new thread about this boat I scrapped and use a lot more of the images I have of it. The post I did above was kind of tailored to show what salt did to the boat to answer his original question. If I were to post a new thread on it, I would spin it differently and it would come out better I think.

I was not trying to discourage anyone from not putting an aluminum boat into salt water, only to say that if you do, then this is what is down the road for that boat even if you rinse it off- that the salt gets into places you can not get it out.

So by all means if you want to put your boat in salt water then do so if you don't care about its future. But some people spend $5,000, $6,000 on an aluminum boat and I would not put it in salt water if I spent that much on it. If I spent $300 on it would be a different story.

So it is anyone's call as to what they do with their boats. All I know is the next time I go to get another one I will be much more careful about examining it before accepting it even if it is for free.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358915#p358915 said:
Cagey » Yesterday, 21:31[/url]"]Thanks, but if you would let me, I could do a new thread about this boat I scrapped and use a lot more of the images I have of it.

What/who is stopping you post away!!

As shown in the photos, crevice corrosion and poultice corrosion are the 2 biggest killers of an aluminum boat. These conditions are most often seen with boats that are hauled back and forth from the salt water to sitting in the yard, as opposed to those that sit in the water year round. Salt is a strong alkaline as it dries out, and boats that sit on trailers have plenty of time to dry out in between uses. Boats sitting in the water get occasionally flushed with rain, and they are around water continuously, so, they never really dry out and begin the alkali state of corrosion.

With boats that stay in port, your biggest problem is going to be galvanic corrosion. 2 best ways to combat that are using good bottom paint, and mounting a sacrificial zinc anode on the transom, just below the static waterline.

This is just my .02 as someone who has kept aluminum boats in saltwater for 30 years.

Great post! I appreciate the information. I am working on the salty dog thread and my only holdup are the photos. Apparently there is an 800 pixel limit and some of my images have to be adjusted down for this forum to accept. But the problem is that when you post a bunch of photos they do not tell you which photo or photos is the holdup so I have to go through every photo manually to make the correction. When I get that finished it should post.

I think a boat used only in fresh water helps keeps the value of the outfit up. if you decide to sell down the road

Latest posts