Treated wood on aluminum = bad?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Aug

Reaction score
I am working on a bracket under the decking for a bow mounted TM. As I was drafting plans, I remembered reading about a caution to not use a certain type of wood for projects with aluminum boats. Can anyone please clarify? What type of lumber am I safe to use?

Big Aug,

TEAK, WHITE CEDAR, WHITE CYPRESS & REDWOOD in "plank lumber" and/or in plywood, MDO.
(Any of those will last a LONG, LONG time in fresh/salt water.)

"Pressure-treated" lumber is treated with POISON & a lot of it literally deteriorates aluminum & other metals.

yours, satx

treated wood has copper in it. since copper is higher on the galvanic scale than alluminum it causes the alluminum to corrode.

What about just some regular 4x4s and a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood? The support will be in contact with the deck and the hull, so am I good to go??

when i made my deck i used .5 oak plywood sealed it with a polyurathane. which just happened to be stain also. i then drove the screws in wet with polyurathane to seal the holes the screws created. i work around corrosion alot and the problem with preassure treated wood is the dissimilar metals not the wood.

any exterior grade ply wood that is not pressure treated will hold up well. Pt plywood and lumber is not somehow magically waterproof it's treated to keep insects out

Analog Kid,

I use MDO plywood exclusively, as it lasts for DECADES in all weathers, when simply painted, as "big green signs" on the Interstate Highways. - Also it's CHEAP.
(T-111, made without the "grooves", is even cheaper than MDO & lasts a LONG time too.)

yours, satx

I am currently in process of building my decks and I was planning on using 5/8 bcx ply. I will check for the mdo at Home Depot ( got gift cards for there) we have used it at work but the stuff they used was about $60-80 for a sheet of 3/4"

Analog Kid,

HD or LOWES (to my knowledge) doesn't sell MDO. - Call your local county highway shop (our county calls it "the county barn") and ask them where they buy their MDO.
(I buy my sheets at a low price from the same vendor as the county does AND for "small projects", I've been known to get MDO scraps FREE from the county barn scrap pile.)

best wishes on your project, satx

You want exterior grade plywood. Look for the X in the grading designation. ABX, BCX, CDX ect ect.

Island Man,

I usually use plain old PORCH & DECK paint on MDO or T111. - IF you want the stuff to last for GENERATIONS seal it in epoxy & then paint it.
(The epoxy + paint is OVERKILL, imVho.)

yours, satx

rscottp,

Here in TX, MDO is cheap (at least as inexpensive as plain "good quality" exterior plywood), as compared to MARINE & lasts just as long. MDO however is downright PRICEY in "home improvement mega-stores", IF they have it at all.

Also, as it is made for sign-painters it takes paint well & finishes smoothly. - I know of several boats that have lasted for a long time with no more surface preparation that primer & paint. - One is a Phillip Bolger design called a CLAM SKIFF that has been used for over 2 decades as a commercial trotline boat 7/365 & based in Galveston County, TX.

Thus, "buried in a transom" or coated with epoxy as a sole (floor) of a tin hull, it should outlast everyone, who is old enough to read this post.

yours, satx

I live on the island of Martha's Vineyard and I am happy to say we don't have one of those mega home improvement stores here. My local lumber store carries MDO but doesn't have marine ply. I just looked at what I paid for MDO last year when I did my mod. $60 and $80 for 1/2 and 3/4 ply. A bit more than AC but less than Cabinet grade birch. It's great stuff, I have used it to build many things and have been very happy with it.

Good luck on your build!

Latest posts