New to jon boats need advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXI.Ruble.IXI

Reaction score
I have a old 14' sears flat bottom and I also have a 10' Montgomery ward flat bottom. The 10' is wider and I was just wondering which one would be better to build a platform on. Never really fished from a boat but I just really like the jon boats with platforms on them. I like the 14' for the extra length but I kinda think that the 10' with it being wider would be more stable. Any advice would be much appreciated

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407111458.516094.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407111493.769612.jpg

Definitely the 14ft you will be happy with it, I have the same boat with a 3/4 deck and I can walk on it comfortably with my wife and kids in the boat as well, It's way more stable then some people make it seem,just went out today for the first time with all 4 of us and I was surprised how stable it was

The few extra inches in width on the 10' does not make up for the extra 4' in length. Definitely build the 14 footer.

If you haven't fished from boats all that much, spend some time fishing out of the boat as it sits right now. That will give you time to figure out exactly how you want to mod it for your style of fishing.

Mo Wider = Mo Gooder

AND - should you build your poling platform, practice, practice PRACTICE poling in SHALLOW water
prior to getting out in water deeper than you are tall.
Even a lanyard like the surfers use to tie their board to their ankle with velcro is a good idea,
practice practice practice.
my brother has many bumps, bruises and lacerations from falling off the platform
into the boat before he got good at it. Not counting the dunks into the lake.

I just talked with a guy at BPS about his homemade poling platform - - - -
He had the same learning curve that my brother went through.
LOL LOL he said it was so painful to fall into the boat, that he actually
borrowed a neighbors "gym mat" - - a 2" thick vinyl covered foam pad
to put into the back of the boat to cushion his falls. And he agreed that
if you are practicing ALONE, to have a lanyard to your body because it is
natural act of Newtons Law when you fall off. Your feet automatically pushes
the boat AWAY from you. Any kind of breeze can quickly but a big distance
between you and your boat if you are slow to recover from your fall.
be SAFE SAFE SAFE

Latest posts