1960 Evinrude fisherman 5.5hp 5520 fuel problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltabbean

Reaction score
Hello again fellow boaters, I'm in need of some advice or help. I finally got my 1960 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp outboard model #5520 to start, but then it died. It won't stay on, it seems like the fuel pump is not pumping the fuel at all. The glass bulb where the fuel filter is only fills up when I pump squeeze the fuel bulb at the fuel tank. I've replaced some of the fuel lines that were cracked, the tank fitting, tank fuel line, fuel line connectors, and spark plugs (plugs were the first problem when it wouldn't start). I'm not sure how to use the fuel richness controls either. Any idea's anyone? Appreciate it.

Simple way to determine if the fuel pump is the problem is to try pumping the bulb while the engine is running. If the motor keeps running normally when you are manually pumping the bulb, then you'll have to rebuild or replace the fuel pump. If the symptoms are the same when you are hand pumping the bulb, your problem is likely some where else.

Have you torn down and cleaned the carburetor and all of the components yet? This is far more likely to be causing your problems rather than the fuel pump. If your carburetor is blocked, it won't allow additional fuel to enter the bowl, and therefor no additional fuel through the filter.

Good luck!

It still dies when I pump the bulb. I guess it's time to call a marine mechanic even though I'm already over budget. This sucks. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Yep carb issue. Warning parts are getting kinda spendy for these old motors

These carbs are very easy to take apart and clean. Kits are available at Napa and other places for about $15. Napa # 18-7043.

Before taking it apart, I would try connecting a small bottle of pre-mix to the carb inlet and gravity feed it to the engine. If it runs this way, it is the fuel pump and not the carb.

Fuel pumps are expensive, but some reasonably priced options are available.

Good luck.

Deltabbean
Just a thought, Is the vent in the tank gas cap clear?
BTDT!
Here's a link to an article by Max Wawrzyniak about carb work.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/10/index.htm

The carbs are pretty easy to work on.
Good Luck with Your motor.

Steve A W

Thanks for all the advice everyone, really appreciate it. I ended up rebuilding the carburetor, changed out all fuel lines, installed a inline fuel filter, and got it going. Took 2 hours to set the hi and low needles valves. But today I took my boat out in the delta for a test run. I had to adjust the high and low needle valves again way differenly to get it started. Here's my problem; when it's in neutral it revs nicely, but when I put it into drive it revs down and I barely have any speed when I'm at full throttle. The current was pushing me faster than the motor. Any one have any ideas what I should do? Thanks

1963 Starcraft Seascamp 1448
w/ 1960 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp outboard model 5520

Your high speed circuit is still not adjusted properly. When you are revving in neutral, there is no power required, so you are barely cracking the butterfly valve on the carb, using only the low speed circuit. When you put it in gear, you now require full power and are pulling fuel from the main circuit now. Your high speed circuit can only really be evaluated with the motor in gear.

Make small adjustments and then try moving the boat in gear.

Good luck!