Question about Tuff Coat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcontrer82

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking about painting my plywood deck and floor with Tuff Coat. My question is should I still cover the plywood with a few coats of spar urethane or would the two-part primer and the tuff coat be enough to seal the plywood? Thanks.

contrary to popular belief, SPAR varnish is a top coat finish - not a primer:
it is also a maintenance item, if used as a top coat exposed to the UV sunlight a lot . . .
you just can not "set it and forget it" if you use and store your boat outside.
A good two-part sealer/primer would be much better in the long run.
Even latex KILZ or ZEN primers are very good on plywood if top coated properly.

PLYWOOD, by its own definition, is the problem. As you know, it is made up of several
layers of different woods, soft and hard, that expand and contract at different rates.
and with the top layer supposedly being the hardest, is most stubborn to ANY kinds
of surface treatments. Many people have great success with their preservation methods
if applied properly. ( by reading the directions on the can ).
When making plywood projects, I have found that one of the secrets to a successful project
is to treat the BACK of the wood with the same number of coats as the show side. And sand and
double coat the edges. And this sort of encapsulates everything together.
Infiltration of moisture is the culprit.
Then, you can do the cosmetic topcoats with of your choice and have better success of the wood
not splitting, crazing and cracking under your pretty top coat.
This same procedure would especially be followed if covering with carpet. SEAL THE WOOD.

But, if you just slap some paint on one side and store your boat in the protection of a garage,
never take it out fishing in the rain, never let the sun get to it, you will hear many stories of
how their paint job lasts for 15 years ........
UV sunlight will eventually damage or destroy any kind of petroleum based paint if not maintained properly.

Jus my ramblings on paint

Latest posts