Help with boat blind

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_bates

Reaction score
Hello All, first time post here. I recently purchased (actually wife did) a 1542 Tracker Topper with a 1993 Johnson 15hp short shaft. I plan on using it for fishing and duck hunting. I am currently in Afghanistan, (which is why my wife bought the boat), but will be home within 2 weeks. That said, I have been looking at all the fantastic builds, and have some ideas running through my head. I would like to build a duck blind for the boat, and was wondering the pros and cons of using Rigid (RMC) conduit vs. EMT conduit. The plan is to use 3/4" conduit so I can also use standard "bimini" hardware/connectors in the build. What are the thoughts of all the "experienced" folks out there?

Rigid pipe is going to be heaver. I used emt when I modified my Cabelas Northern flight blind. I was going to use bimini hardware too but ended just flatting the ends and drilling a hole in them.

I have some plans that I found in a magazine that I can send you. If you want them PM me your email address.

I made my blind loosely based on those plans. I ran 1 season with 3/4 and then remade with 1" conduit. The 1" is so much stronger.

Hey Guys, Just returned to the States. Thanks for all the feedback. I already have a solid plan for the blind build, but thanks anyways KRS62. I have some pics to post, so give me another few days to get organized. I have a mile long honey-do list that takes priority...

OK everyone... after the "giant honey-do" list, the truck getting fixed, the yard getting mowed/weed wacked/edged, the flower beds getting de-weeded, the son going to college (and looking for a car, we're still looking), the in-laws getting a few days help as well, I am now officially caught up. Whew!!! I am currently helping a friend on his farm, and between all that work (God bless all the farmers out there), I have been working on the blind. It's half finished, and I have pics (to prove it, ha!!). As soon as I go through the tutorial, I will post them, as I well know, you guys love to see the pics/progress. So, with all that said, again< I thank all you guys for your awesome builds, and hope to have my pics up soon. Also, thanks to you guys for my welcome home posts. It is good to be back home.

Thanks for your visit to Astan.

Lot of stuff involved in coming home. Hope it is going well.

On the blind and boat stuff? Anything you need, ask...somehow we'll figure out a way to get 'er done.

oh, and just as a favor, please...

wacherass, hear?

=D> =D> =D>

Boat after a few "mods"
1. Slider seat bracket and swivel (back seat)
2. Seat bracket w/ swivel (front seat)
3. Camo seats
4. Camo engine cover

Attachments

• DSCF2164.JPG
    DSCF2164.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,283
close up of how the cross braces are connected to the boat
used rod clamp holders from Bass Pro
rubber bicycle tire tube between clamp and boat to protect paint
cross member is 1' aluminum tube
rubber washer between aluminum tube and clamp

Attachments

• DSCF2170.JPG
    DSCF2170.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,283
Borrowing an idea from another poster here on TinBoats.net
Used 3/4" EMT conduit for blind frame
Used 2 foot of (1/2') EMT conduit to connect the two 3/4" pieces together. Had to use 11" of duct tape around the 1/2" EMT to get a tight fit inside the 3/4" EMT. It is a solid connection.

Attachments

• DSCF2174.JPG
    DSCF2174.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 815
Something to be watchful here if you build your own blind. Make sure you leave enough room on the bottom screw (A) so it doesn't interfere with the bracket that attaches the frame (B). I made that mistake already...

Attachments

• Show.jpg
    Show.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 808

Latest posts