Floatation question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88Klamath

Reaction score
I am in the process of freshening up a 1988 Klamath 15' V hull. The boat has a 45hp 2 smoke mercury. All original foam is in place and dry. This boat was bought new by me and hasn't been modified in any way.

Assuming the Klamath folks knew what they were doing it should be good, but I would like to add a little insurance, so..... I would like to find something I could add, like a collar just inboard and below of the gunnels all the way around the boat. Something to lean against for comfort and provide additional floatation high on the boat. It seems to me foam in the bottom of the boat is just trying to tip it over. If located high on the boat, if swamped the foam would try to keep the boat right side up.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for reading!

what makes you suspect your foam is in the bottom of the boat?? all the bench seats I have cut open were either completely filled with foam or the top halves were foam... not sure how it was done on really old boats but newer boats are required to jot only have flotation but it has to float level when swamped...

You are correct the seats are foam filled, plus two additional area each side of the fuel/battery compartment. My wording was incorrect there is no floor in the boat. Still the seats sit low to me. When purchased the dealer claim was level floatation. My concern is a 200 pound motor plus a battery and fuel tank all right at the transom. It's probably fin but ......

Latest posts