16' Starcraft Aluminum Boat Questions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jet1932

Reaction score
I have looked into other threads on this subject .....but I had some questions on this boat. I have been looking at getting into a bigger boat for fishing. I currently fish out of a really nice kayak with a trolling motor and mainly stick to small lakes and rivers. I don't hit larger lakes because my kayak is not great in rough water. I target bass 98% of the time. I am looking for something 14'-18'. The idea I have had was to get something small enough and light enough so I can afford to work on the engine or even take it out and use the TM if it comes down to the engine not working. I have had something like a flat bottom 1448 or 1648 at a minimum in mind. Stability is very important to me. I am 5'10" and 250lbs and I want to be able to walk around and move comfortably. I currently stand and fish 90% of the time in my kayak....so it does not have to be crazy stable. Also...I will fish solo about 85% of the time.

Considering this info...I found a 16' Starcraft aluminum boat for a decent price. It looks like a v-hull or semi v hull. I have only seen these pics. I will be checking it out soon. The asking price is $800. I plan on gutting the inside and putting a casting deck and some other storage in the interior. I have heard that getting a V hull will make the ride much more comfortable....but some stability will be lost. How stable are the v-bottom boats like this if I have a casting deck (sorry I don't know the width)? Also, how deep will something like this boat run/drift? I have leaned toward the flat bottom...but it's not a deal breaker as long as the stability is decent and it can run fairly shallow. I know it is really all up to personal preference and only I will really know if it's right for me...but I am just looking into some insights from people in the know. Also... Does this look like a good deal for $800? Any opinions or insight will be greatly appreciated. I know this is a popular topic....but I had to ask about this boat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408644532.238055.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408644557.003993.jpg

It could be a StarCraft Mariner. The motor even if it runs great is not worth much. New Chrysler parts and service is non-existent. If he has the titles to the boat, trailer and motor if needed the price isn't to bad depending on the overall condition of everything.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Yes, it is a V-bottom. Stability in one of these depends on the floatation used in it. They can lean pretty good if they lack floatation. Check under the storage and seats to see if there is any flotation. Does it have a sub-floor? It may have flotation under that as well. The higher the sides the more stable the boat.

Flat bottoms can lean pretty good, too, especially if they are loaded with gear (and gas) to one side or the other. They do sit low to the water, but they sure are fun.

While we own both, I prefer the v-bottom in the lake, and the flat bottom in the river.

Just my opinion.

I do agree about the motor. Look for a Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury. You can still buy parts for those old motors.

Good Luck!

you can still get most parts for Chryslers and Honestly, if it's still running who can call it a "Bad" motor... However, it is harder to find them and find someone willing to work on it as with any older motor... Use the Chrysler to negotiate with bringing up the points above though... they are NOT worth as much as a Johnson/Evinrude/Merc and they are a red flag to most looking to buy a Boat....

My boat is a 16ft vee (not a jon boat) very similar to what you are looking at. I can fish in 18 inches of water, maybe less but not sure. That is using the trolling motor, the big engine would be hitting bottom at that depth. I consider my boat pretty stable and I weigh more than you, you should be fine in that one you are looking at. Make sure the engine runs ok, maybe check compression in the cylinders. Look over close for dents and gouges that can be leaks, it would be unusual for it not to have leaks. Small leaks can be fixed normally or just lived with if they are slow and you have a auto bilge pump.

I don't see what flotation has to do with the stability of a boat, the hull size, shape and weight pretty much determines stability, just my opinion. Although I would not fish in a boat that someone took the flotation out of.

I think the price is good. I also agree a johnson or merc would be more desirable but if the chrysler runs good, why not?

Tim