Lifting boats from the trailers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejrod

Reaction score
What's up guys? New guy here, J-Rod, pleasure I'm sure!
Looking to redo the paint/coating on my new-used AlumaWeld 17 ft here soon. First boat, first project and first problem (other then ripping out all carpet and trying to find best lining/coating for interior/exteriors).
Question is, how ho you go about lift and securing a fully dressed boat? I do not care to remove the 40Hp Yamaha off it! Any suggestions on the three issues? Thanks!

Take two 2 x 4's and 4 jack stands. Lower the front jack on the trailer, which will raise the rear end. Slide the 2 x 4 under the boat and put a jack stand under the 2x4 near the rear. Raise the front jack all the way and repeat for the front. Lower the front jack halfway, and now your boat should be supported on the 2x4s and jack stands. You may need an extra set of jacks or stands to slide the trailer out from under the boat. Or simply paint the areas that will rest on the trailer bunks first an then go about removing the 2x4's and painting the rest.

I've done this before, and it allows you to easily do it by yourself.

Process can be done with a car jack and jack stands too.

Easiest to paint the hull by taking the motor off and flipping the boat instead though.

Good luck!

I have an exposed ceiling in my garage. I did the same thing with the trailer jack. I put a rope through the bow eye nad then up to one of the cross runners. I used jack stands to support the transom. I ran a rope from the transon eye bolts over the above board just in case she fell off the stands. This worked great and allowed me to take the trailer out to rebuild it. The wife freaked out when she saw the boat "floating" above the floor. It took me awhile to rebuild the trailer and it was nice to have the boat safely in the garage.

That's a great idea and would work well too. The only thing that i would probably do would be to support the exposed beam as closely to where the rope/straps go over. A simple 2 x 4 on the floor works well. Just to minimize the stress on a single beam.

Right on guys! Thanks! Any recommendations for liners to use or which to stay away from? I'm in florida and the heat is impressive on raw aluminum!

Latest posts