Got me a project boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyBassin

Reaction score
Found this today on Craigslist and jumped all over it. Now sitting next to my garage.

14ft v-bottom, looks to be an Alumacraft
5hp motor of some sort, owner said they ran it last weekend

Got the both for $350

Now to get a Tinboats.net sticker and start moddin.

Nice find! It'll make a great project boat, or you can keep it as is and it'll still serve you well.

BTW, the motor is a Johnson. Looks to be 1960's vintage, but I'll bow to bassboy for a more accurate dating.

Mark

Figure I'll replace the piece of wood that was across the back where the motor mounts and fish out of her for the season, then have some fun dressin her up in camo over the winter.

Any suggestions for what type of wood to use?

For my project boat I used two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together with Gorilla Glue and finished with three coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane.

That boat is definitely an old Alumacraft. Oh how I long to get my hands on one of those. Tried to buy one a couple weeks ago, but we couldn't convince the guy he wanted to sell it. I would have to say that model is one of the best built utility boats I have ever seen.

As mossy said, the motor is a '60s Johnson. However, I think in that year, they were a 5.5 horse. Get me the model number off the transom bracket, if it is still legible. That motor looks like it has seen better days. What does it look like under the cowl?

bassboy1 said:
That boat is definitely an old Alumacraft. Oh how I long to get my hands on one of those. Tried to buy one a couple weeks ago, but we couldn't convince the guy he wanted to sell it. I would have to say that model is one of the best built utility boats I have ever seen.

As mossy said, the motor is a '60s Johnson. However, I think in that year, they were a 5.5 horse. Get me the model number off the transom bracket, if it is still legible. That motor looks like it has seen better days. What does it look like under the cowl?

Have no clue, because I picked up yet another 14ft vbottom with trailer, cover and seats today. I figure if it runs until spring, I'll grab me one of those Briggs and Stratton outboards.

IndyArmyVet said:
bassboy1 said:

Have no clue, because I picked up yet another 14ft vbottom with trailer, cover and seats today. I figure if it runs until spring, I'll grab me one of those Briggs and Stratton outboards.

Cool ! Never hurts to have a backup ! :)

Here's my upgrade, that cost me a whopping $400. 14ft V that's a little wider than the first.

I'll keep the outboard and have already listed the first on Craigslist.

Good choice. That second will be a bit better for your mod, and I would hate to see that old Alumacraft marred up by modding. How much are you asking? You could probably do quite a bit better than 350 to someone who knows what they are looking at.

From the best I can tell, the motor is a '61 Johnson Seahorse, 5.5hp

Gonna take it in this week to get serviced and see what kind of shape it in.

Started up after a few pulls in a tub the other day, guess that's a good sign :D

bassboy1 said:

I just bought a '68 Alumacraft just like that from a buddy with three trolling motors, a battery, and trailer for $500. Since you seek one so desperately, I will give you the cut rate deal of $750 :LOL2:

Nah just kidding...This boat doesn't have a price. It is the same boat my friend and I grew up fishing in as kids and teens. He has fallen on hard times recently, and needed some money. I told him if he sold the boat to anybody else without calling me first, I would be heartbroken. Needless to say, he called me first, and now I have the boat. And, ofcourse, he can still use it at any time. Lots of memories in that boat, and when my son gets a few more years on him, he and I will have some great memories. When I was 11 years old fishing in that thing, how would I have ever known I would one day take my boy out in it? Time, and life itself, are funny things :beer: