Anyone use Krylon Plastic Spray Paint on a Steering Wheel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottphillips208

Reaction score
The steering wheel on my boat is awfully faded, and I'm curious to know if any of you Tin-Boaters have used Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint on your boats' steering wheels. My wheel was black, but now its a dark mottled chalky grey, and I don't want to go to the expense of replacing it.

In advance, thanks for your help!

Scott

I have used it very successfully on a 60's garden tractor steering wheel. The thing to keep in mind is how hard of a plastic is you steering wheel? If it's cushioned I doubt you'll have great success. However since it's chaullky I'm guessing it's hard. So I wouldn't hesitate to use krylon fusion. If you want it to look good and last; preparation is key! Your steering wheel has seen many a greasy slimy hands from maybe fish or oil (idk if your boat has a two cycle but possible from there) and more than anything just the oil in the skin of your hands. Take your time to find a good cleaning agent that leaves no residue (I think I remember hearing something about "tri-phosphate" being a good plastic cleaner), wipe the wheel down thoroughly. One thing I have found with using krylon fusion; if you wipe something plastic down with a solvent and don't wait a few hours for the solvent to flash off, many times the paint will orange peel because solvent can remain deep in the porous areas of the plastic. Better to wipe down thoroughly, leave a while then come back with a tac cloth and remove any dust then paint. One last thing. Don't sand anything plastic! Krylon does not always react well to sanded plastic surfaces.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, DacMan, particularly in regards to letting any solvent I use to clean the wheel fully evaporate before painting it. I have this habit of always being in a hurry, so this would have definitely got me!

I'll pick some paint up today, and post before and after photos later today.

Scott

With school starting up and a backlog of "off the water projects" around the house that require attention, I haven't made much progress on my boat. However, I did manage to clean up and paint the faded and chalky steering wheel with satin black Krylon Fusion spray paint. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

The varigation in the black paint is due to the fact that the paint was still wet when I snapped the photo. The paint dried to an even shade.

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0731[1].JPG
    IMG_0731[1].JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,432
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=364520#p364520 said:
scottphillips208 » 26 Aug 2014, 12:42[/url]"]With school starting up and a backlog of "off the water projects" around the house that require attention, I haven't made much progress on my boat. However, I did manage to clean up and paint the faded and chalky steering wheel with satin black Krylon Fusion spray paint. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

The varigation in the black paint is due to the fact that the paint was still wet when I snapped the photo. The paint dried to an even shade.

Cheers,

Scott

Well done!

not Krylon paint, but, I did paint the steering wheel of my
1952 Ford 8N tractor with the rattle can of black bed liner
and it looks awesome and is 5 years old and is still holding tight. exposed to UV 24/7
also, it has a rough finish - easy to hold on to with sweaty hands.

...rattle can of black bed liner...

That was an excellent idea. I'm not entirely smitten with how the Kyrlon looks on mine, so I may give your approach a shot. There's a difference in sheen between the wheel which was well worn, and the middle section which wasn't worn at all.

Thanks,

Scott

there is a Krylon PRIMER that might make all the difference in the world as to the cosmetics.
the reason you get a different sheen is that the plastic has become eroded by the UV and
thus has become more porous than the rest of the wheel. which in turn absorbs more paint than the
other surfaces.
even tho the Krylon says Paint AND Primer in one can - and - no need to prime . . . is truly misleading !!!!
try priming first - with the primer - then - topcoat with the paint. (follow the directions carefully)

but, I truly do like the finish of the spray on rattle can bed liner. and is more UV tolerable than paint.
just make sure you cover everything that you do not want to paint...... is hard to get off once it dries.

maybe a little easier on the hands than the bedliner would be Plasti-Dip rubberized coating. I used it to repaint the interior door pulls in my car and they've lasted 2+ years. I had done the exterior handles (they had faded badly) but I rushed it and didn't prep well and they only lasted about 1.5 years. The Plasti-dip is removable (which was part of the issue with the exterior handles) but they make a primer now that makes the coating pretty much permanent. I just coated the carry handles on my jonboat with it and they came out well. I'll post a photo when I can.

Here is the plasti-dip on the handles. It goes on like thick spray paint. I think rustoleum has a version of this now too. If I went a little heavier it would have hidden the nicks in the handles.

IMAG2545.jpg

Latest posts