Tin boat is hot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearwhiz

Reaction score
I'm looking for something I can use to paint or coat my top rail and console to keep it from being so hot in the summer. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Probly dont help but on hot days, I take a small white towel and dip it in the water to stand barefoot on, on just cool off the bench. I store it on the top of my cooler when in not in use and keeps it cool as well

How much of a factor is color? What type of boat? Rustoleum has a desert tan spray on bedliner. I just ordered some to do the inside of my Valco. I'm pretty sure that would be cooler than bare aluminum.

Any light colour will do. I have an aluminum sailboat I've just painted, the front deck was bare metal and was too hot to touch in full sun. I painted it a fairly dark blue and it is still hot but not quite as much. I painted the cockpit an almond colour and I can now walk on it without my feet sizzling like bacon.

My entire boat is covered in a bed liner material. I built a box that doesn't have it on it. The difference is night and day. I can hardly even touch the box I built. I can walk barefoot on the other. I even put skid no more on the box and painted it, but its still too hot.

I can sure relate to the hot boat! Especially in the Texas hot sun. I thought I was doing all the good in sanding to a shiny finish, until July in Texas got here. Whew! :oops:

Huntinfool, you know exactly what I mean, Houston's hot too. :wink: What was the product that you used and what color?

I'll be anxious to read more posts about products used on the floor to keep it tolerable.

My boat is a kind of tan colored G3. One guy suggested some of the coating they put on aluminum porch roofs. I'll keep on with my research and let you know what I find out.

bearwhiz said:
My boat is a kind of tan colored G3. One guy suggested some of the coating they put on aluminum porch roofs. I'll keep on with my research and let you know what I find out.
I have the same color boat. That sucker gets HOT! Eventually it will get some sort of decking to help but only after stepping up from a 20 to a 25 horse motor. With 3 batteries, fuel amd two people Im only getting about 25 mph at wot and cruises on plane around 20mph

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409836781970.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409836781970.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,268
I have been looking into getting a sheet or two of Seadek? I think it would stay cool but it is very expensive. https://www.seadek.com/p-10-large-sheet-39-x-77.aspx

But if bed liner paint will work that is what I will do. I have used the Rustoleum mentioned here in black on my Jeep. It is great and really forgiving to work with.

Guess I can't see how any paint would work. I'd think we need some kind of insulating material between bare skin and metal.

Bed liner at least has some thickness.

I imagine that is why carpet is used on a lot of decks. Cheap, and provides insulation.

My desert tan rustoleum should be here the first of the week. The inside of the valco is all prepped and ready to be sprayed so hopefully will get it done sometime next week. Will keep you posted. By the way, my last valco was a mid 90's U13 I had custom made by valco with a walk through center seat. It was finished inside with some type of textured paint similar to auto trunk paint. That might also be an option.

Check out hydroturf. It is similar to Seadek, but cheaper. I have heard that the hydrotuf doesn't last as long as the Seadek. I had hyroturf on my old boat and really liked it.

The Seakdek on my current boat is the 2-ply 6mm (army camo over black). I can stand barefoot on it in mid-summer, mid-day, high 90s heat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365359#p365359 said:
Steve_bear » September 4th, 2014, 9:20 am[/url]"]I have been looking into getting a sheet or two of Seadek? I think it would stay cool but it is very expensive. https://www.seadek.com/p-10-large-sheet-39-x-77.aspx

But if bed liner paint will work that is what I will do. I have used the Rustoleum mentioned here in black on my Jeep. It is great and really forgiving to work with.
Expensive? then folks done bumped their heads

That stuff is rediculous. I even clicked on the link for the foam ruler. Guess what 40 bucks Haha

Worth every penny. Took me awhile to squirrel away the money, but I would buy it all over again in a heartbeat. No paint, no bedliner, no carpet holds a candle to this stuff. Not in form or function.

I think the most important thing is don't fish when the sun is blasting down.

I double sided taped some of the cheap grey foam work station matting to the drivers well on mine and it stays surprisingly cool. I'd thought about using it as padding for my carpet to get rid of all the noise from the aluminum deck so I put it down as a test to see how it wore and lasted. I used double sided carpet tape and it's worked well.

I have a composite board that I put on all the benches and front deck of the boat. This came from a sign that was removed, so it was free. I haven't seen anything else like it. It is fantastic! It does not get hot at all nor does it get cold. It is the perfect insulator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 301

Latest posts