What safety gear?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmdk_93

Reaction score
I need to know what safety items I need to be good to go on the water. I will have a motor so I know I need a fire exstinguisher. But what other items do I need to pass inspection if stopped by coastguard? Thanks guys.

'boatus' has a very good course for this at https://elearning.boatus.org/catalog/
Pick your state and brouse the chapters. Everything you would need to know, and a lot more.

Each state can and will be slightly different. Check yours to be sure. The big ones are life vests for all on board, throwable life preserver (I think this is consider a level IV), fire extinguisher, nav lights if running at night.

It depends on the state, size of the boat, where it is operated, what type of gas tank, and a bunch of other stuff. One thing is that you can never have too many safety items on board.

Hey cool guys thanks for the info. I'm all about being prepared. Never know what could happen.

I just got my tin inspected by the coast guard auxiliary. Here's what they wanna see:
Fire extinguisher that's easily reached from your driving position
Whistle/ horn same as above
Lights work
A throwable preferably with a rope attached to pull someone in with
Battery in a box or with the terminals covered
All life jackets with no tears or broken zippers & coast guard tag in place

I passed & got sticker for the boat. He said to call my insurance and tell them the boat passed & they might give me a discounted rate but I pay so little I'm not going to bother.

Yes a lot depends on the state. Oregon now requires you take and pass a boaters course to operate in any inland waters. I am glad I took the course. I have been boating all my life and I learned a few things.

Putting the "legal" issues aside for a minute . . .

Think of your "worst case scenereo" and plan for it !!! stock your boat for it !!!
Lots of water, in your water tight ammo box, have sunblock, snacks that are SEALED
such as Granola Bars, first aid items, bug spray, and emergency solar blankets. lighter & matches,
Most of this can be found at Wal-Mart in the camping area.

Try to imagine yourself breaking down, with wife and kids (or friends) in the boat - - -
hours and hours pass by - - - everyone is tired, hungry, thirsty, and CRANKY !!
THEN, night settles in, mosquitoes as big as catfish attack you, you need some light,
8 hour camping candles work in a glass if no rain or wind, extra batteries for your signal
flashlight. oh wait, you forgot to bring a flashlight ???? or, the batteries are DEAD and you
don't have extras ??? hmmmmm gonna be a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG night for sure !!!!
oh yea, you tried to paddle back to the dock but your $6.00 paddle BREAKS IN HALF ......

What I like to do is sit in my boat - pencil and paper in hand - and just IMAGINE all the WHAT IFs !!!!
and plan for it - - - then, hopefully, NOTHING ever happens to you like that and you have a great
boating experience !!!.

This is far beyond the "minimum USCG requirements" this is just plain old COMMON SENSE.

There is nothing more grand than
to be just simply messing around
in an old boat . . . . POGO, 1960

This comes from my very own and very real personal experience !!! This is in the ocean.
Hit something in the water, broke the prop. drifted to a sandbar. No spare prop.
no food, one small bottle of water, no mirror to signal anyone. No sunblock. No shade.
Young wife and 18 month old baby and two friends on the boat. We planned to be gone
maybe an hour at the most just to run the boat around. Night falls, no flashlight to signal anyone.
Finally, our friends knew something was wrong when none of us returned home..... Coast Guard
was called, thank GOD that someone knew about what direction we went. they gave us water and
snacks and towed us in. we were less than 5 miles from the boat landing. I got a ticket for several
violations which I deserved.
I promised my wife and myself that I would NEVER go out again without planning for the WHAT IFs !!!!

But of course, a lot of folks here are on a crowded lake or river and help is only a handwave away
and it doesn't matter what you have on your boat.

Tight lines and happy boating !!

From a post from Great White on 08/29/2014
Of which I thought is very much on point of this topic......
Everyone should review his list and adapt whatever items into your "survival bucket".

Toilet paper!
Small Pillow/light blanket (I have been known to throw anchor and fall asleep in quiet spots!)
Small radio
Snacks
Drinks
Flops/crocks
Change of clothes
Binoculars
Bug spray/nets
Spark plug kit (with helicoil)
Two stroke oil
Spare kill switch clip
Spare transom plug
Tube of silicone (might be enough to get me back to opposite shore where the truck is if I develope a leak)
Gun tape
Foil tape
Assorted wrenches for engine bits
Boat stuff like bailers, whistle, etc.
Sea anchor
Water pump impeller
Small breakdown shovel
Assorted knives/hatchet
Spool of 550 cord.
Compass
Waterproof matches/lighter
Misc watertight Tupperware type bins (wallet/cell phone/keys/etc float and stay dry in these)
Assorted small bits I just can't remember....

12ga FLARE PISTOL with MANY FLARES & SMOKE FLARES !!!
a means to charge your cell phone
aluminum folding paddles.

Latest posts