Glass over deck? or stick with carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scfox11

Reaction score
I have a duracraft 15' that i put a front and rear deck on, as well as a floor base. The wood is 3/4'' ply. I also put carpet on it. My question is, would it be beneficial or sensible to maybe take out some of the framing 2x4's, remove all the decks to epoxy/glass over decks with 1/4'' ply, and use that. I would put a non skid on it. Would you think that would affect much of the weight at all? I also kind of want another project too, so maybe if i removed it all I would repaint the boat from the original green. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Depending on the area you're dealing with that could be a fairly significant weight savings. Plywood weighs about 25lbs per 1/4" per sheet, so a 1548 would use approximately 2 sheets on just the horizontal surfaces - so you could save roughly 100lbs less the weight of the fiberglass would be a net savings of 75lbs +/-. If you have plywood vertical surfaces too (around the helm, storage etc.) you'd stand to save even more.